Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wierd puter problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Wierd puter problem

I have all my desk top icons in groups around the perimeter of monitor. Lately when I close a program, the icons will all shift to the left side of the screen. What could be the cause of this?
    Thanks
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wierd puter problem

Right click on the desktop. Select "arrange icons by", and look to see if "Auto Arrange" is checked.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Align to grid is checked
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.

4. Back To Top    #4

There are two additional things to check. Caveat: I'm on windows 7 so the advice may not apply.

Easiest is to go into the personalize screen and uncheck the part where it allows a theme to change icons (especially if you recently installed or changed themes).

Next would be to make a registry change - here's one thread that discusses the process. You have to find the parts by a user whose name is something like security14 (sorry I forget, too lazy to go back, just scroll down & you'll find it).
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

5. Back To Top    #5

Is it the same program or does it do it with multiple applications?

6. Back To Top    #6

It seems to do it at ramdom.

7. Back To Top    #7

Changing screen resolution to a lower resolution and then changing back will cause this, perhaps a game is doing this or you are sometimes using a smaller monitor?
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thats what I was thinking...

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't play any games and I haven't changed the monitor settings. I also did scans for viruses and malware and nothing showed up.

10. Back To Top    #10

What version of windows. I would do a search on google. I'm sure someome else has had the same problem. Make the search "Windows xp (whatever version u have) desktop icons all move to left side".

See what results you get.

11. Back To Top    #11

If your using XP this usually happens when an application such as a game or other program changes the screen resolution when its operating, not much you can do about it if this is the case...its just what Windows will do to maintain the icons on the desktop at lower resolutions.

If its Vista or W7 your theme may be corrupt, you can do a search on google for the specific issue if its theme related...there are different repair procedures for different problems.
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011