Work cut out for me...

Aug 6, 2010
I'm so thankful to find this site - I was searching for answers on why our pool is always cloudy or greenish or otherwise not great...however, I am now overwhelmed at how much I was doing wrong!

We bought a metal frame pool at walmart last summer, put it up, threw chlorine in the floater basket when we remembered - scrubbed it when it got yucky, and used it half the year like that. Clear water, even! My chemicals & test kit consisted of what w-mart had - the chlorine tablets, algae treatment liquid, ph minus (and plus) and 5 or 6 way test strips.

This year, is another story - have had it up longer, lots & lots of rain too, and am noticing the problems - my FC level doesn't budge. Green algae, which then results in cloudy water for days when I thought I was "shocking" the pool by using the recommended amount of the "shock treatment" from the store (dump in certain # of oz, wait 1/2 hr, tah dah. Or in my case, no tah-dah!)

Pump too small for the pool, I'm sure - I knew that from day one. So far my immediate list consists of: ordering a real test kit. Using liquid bleach instead of powders. and replacing the pump (which may wait til next spring at this date...pools aren't a year round venture in the midwest!) I'm very interested in sand filters -- however a big one might exceed what I can justify spending - so I'm torn between a larger cart. filter & a smaller sand filter... I won't even post test results until I have a decent test instead of trying to decide if a bar on the test is more orange or red or blue/purple or purple/blue!

I'm hoping I'm not the only one who started out a pool idiot! Any BTDT advice from anyone who started out in similar situation?

Melissa

Welcome to TFP :wave: Yes, I was a pool idiot (psst...still am, but I have read pool school a few times :lol: )

Welcome to the forum...you have a sound game plan and post some numbers when you're ready...we'll be here :goodjob:

Welcome!

You're doing fine - only one season of ignorance. Some folks don't get here til two or three years have passed... and thousands of dollars of miracle cures that don't.

Order a test kit and start reading Pool School. You'll be so eager to test your water you won't be able to stand the wait for the kit. And if all you're suffering from is algae, not astronomical CYA or something, we'll have you fixed up in a week or so. Your pool can be the envy of the neighborhood.

Welcome to TFP!!

Pool School is the starting place - memorize it :lol:

Sounds like the light has come on for you :goodjob:

The size of the filter is only important, relative to the size of the pump. You think your pump may be undersized for the pool but it might well be OK - you just need a larger filter. You want the entire pool water volume to pass through the filter each day (called a turnover). If you check with the experts here (like mas95 or Jasonlion) on what size pump you have v.s. whet size sand filter (or cart) you'd need - you might find that you don't have to get the biggest filter out there :cool:

Please stick with us, read Pool School and ask your questions - we all honestly want you to have a trouble free pool! :cheers:

Richard320 said:
Welcome!

You're doing fine - only one season of ignorance. Some folks don't get here til two or three years have passed... and thousands of dollars of miracle cures that don't.

Order a test kit and start reading Pool School. You'll be so eager to test your water you won't be able to stand the wait for the kit. And if all you're suffering from is algae, not astronomical CYA or something, we'll have you fixed up in a week or so. Your pool can be the envy of the neighborhood.

Ahem....and some of us (me) are really slow on the uptake...took me 7 years to 'get it'....
You'll be a happy pool owner very very soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.