Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what is this product?

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

what is this product?

Its called Spa Magic by Spa Life, touted to be a;
    "multipurpose additive for spas; shock treatment, pH lock, alkalinity balance, calcium balance, clarifier and softener"
    would it maybe be a blend of MPS, borax and a clarifier? **** expensive whatever it is.
    Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself for he will never cease to be amused.
    To teach is to learn twice.
    My Pool. 20 x 40 120,000 litres (about 30k gal) sand filter, a pump of some type...lol & a bunch of neighbourhood kids.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what is this product?

Here's the msds on it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

It's all secret. I mean, proprietary. That MSDS is pretty useless. They might as well say it's fairy dust. There was some mention of metals in there. I didn't read it too close. But it doesn't matter - I wouldn't put it in my pool or spa.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yea, I am with Richard, its like someone mixing up a mystery brew and asking you to put it into your pool. No way. It goes against all the TFP principles of knowing what you are puting in your pool and tight testing. If you don't know what it is (cause they won't tell you) don't put it in.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Reading around the web I see that several people think this is primarily an enzyme product, though I don't see any indication of that myself.

I would rather know what I was putting into my poo/spa. There is also the problem that any product with seven active ingredients is sure to have them in the wrong proportions more often than not.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

You could probably try to determine what each "propietary" ingredient is....there's only so many chemicals that the industry uses in pools. When reading through some of the "avoid this" "reacts with this" and "may produce this", I suspect that one ingredient is copper sulfate and another is baking soda. If you really wanted to figure it all out, get MSDS for common pool chemicals and do a match up.......as a teacher I may give this as a challenge to my chemistry students......
    16,000 gallon, oval, in ground, fiberlass. WhisperFlow WFDS-26, 11/2 horsepower, Triton II Sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

yeah i was thinking if i was really that ambitious i would have to match up the warnings with other known product warnings, just not that ambitious.....
    I agree that you should always know what you are putting in your pool/spa, however i do have product to sell and was hoping to at least find out what it was. My employer has a whole bunch of this stuff and i have to know what i am selling before i can honestly sell it. I have to be sold first.
    On a side note, this is his first year in business and his supplier 'stocked' his shelves for him, there are about 15 6kg buckets of 'Cal' sitting here, 95% of pools here are Vinyl Lined........so if its any consolation PS owners get sold **** they dont need too.....
    Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself for he will never cease to be amused.
    To teach is to learn twice.
    My Pool. 20 x 40 120,000 litres (about 30k gal) sand filter, a pump of some type...lol & a bunch of neighbourhood kids.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by thecanuck22
    so if its any consolation PS owners get sold **** they dont need too.....
    Solution is to learn as much as you can so you can make an informed decision. After speaking with you on other topics, I must say it is a shame your employer didn't use your expertise before stocking up...
    Pool: None, and All.
    ''What's really interesting is finding some way to explain some technical concepts with simple terms so that everyone might understand, to vulgarize.'' CaOCL2