2010 Intex SWG (Model 54601)

dmanb2b

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
NY
Ok, I'm going to rant now :rant: . I just picked up a spare intex SWG for $129 shipped on ebay. I specifically ordered the 56601 (aka 2009 model without copper ionization). To my surprise, the fedex guy just delivered a 54601 which is the 2010 model with copper ionization :hammer: and is actually $30-$40 more expensive. So technically this mess up is a great deal, but I do not want copper ions in my pool when my current SWG dies on me.

OK...so does anyone know how big of a deal this may be? I have heard that the newer model copper ion module can be removed, but I also understand it only puts out half the chlorine the older model does. I'd like to keep my current 3-4 swg run time. Anyone out there use the 2010 model on a larger 13K gal pool and remove the copper ion module? I'd like to hear your feedback before I open the box.

Thanks,

Denis

The most expensive thing in the unit is the cell, its made of some kind of unobtainium, I think. By cutting it in half, they cut their cost way down. I've read that disabling the copper ionizer is just a matter of disconnecting the wiring to it, but that still leaves the copper electrode in the water flow, I would remove it too. I've also heard that the newer model has controls that hold the program through a power loss - that might be reason alone to get one. I would like to find a replacement cell that will work with out costing more then the whole thing did. Too bad Intex doesn't just sell the cells!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.