OC pepper spray

guamguy

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2010
Guam, USA
I know this is completely non pool related, but I was just sprayed with OC today for some training at work and WOW, that stuff is HORRIBLE :grrrr: To add insult to injury, after being sprayed with this evil concoction, we were required to complete a course of placing "offenders" in custody, etc. I don't think I would spray my worst enemy with this stuff (actually, I would), but it is terrible, to say the least. Now I will continue to recover with the help of many adult beverages...

Sorry for the rant

Yikes :shock: Poor you. :cry:

One time when I was out of town DH called me to inform me he wouldn't be at the house for a few hours. One of our Mastiff youngsters used a full canister as a play toy piercing the canister and letting all contents out into main area of house. Luckily it was not "crowd control" size but it was stronger than "civilian grade". DH managed to stay in house just long enough to open up a couple of doors to air out and then leave for a bit. He told me said pup was still carrying it around and seemed none the worse for it. (He did take it away from boy.) There were probably four or five others in the house, all Mastiffs, that didn't seem to be affected either. Surely some must have gotten in pups eyes when he punctured the canister??? There was enough in the air to cause pain to DH. He, also, had to scrub some surfaces later.

I've tried all kinds of capsicum powders, sprays, paste, etc. to attempt to keep squirrels off of/out/away from bird feeders and from munching plant buds and blooms. Doesn't even phase them.

Hope your cure worked quickly.

gg=alice

That's too bad the dogs got into it. My little puppy decided it was a good idea to lick me when I got home from this ordeal, she was quite a mess. Here I am, 12 hours later, and my eyes are still watering every now and then, plus my face feels like a REALLY bad sunburn times 50!
The spray I got was police/military grade, so you know it's strong stuff. :cheers:

guamguy said:
That's too bad the dogs got into it. My little puppy decided it was a good idea to lick me when I got home from this ordeal, she was quite a mess. Here I am, 12 hours later, and my eyes are still watering every now and then, plus my face feels like a REALLY bad sunburn times 50!
The spray I got was police/military grade, so you know it's strong stuff. :cheers:
This brings up an issue I've had in mind for a while. I want to start running again in the early a.m.(around dawn) but do not feel comfortable without some kind of protection against dogs. At first I was just going to get some pepper spray, but as I was researching for a good brand I read about how it won't necessarily deter a charging dog. Great! that was the whole point...

So then I saw an ad for the HALT! product which was specifically formulated for dogs. But several reviews seem to suggest this product is not reliable either. Can the general public buy the police/military grade stuff? And do you think it is strong enough to repel an attacking dog?

There are different "laws" and/or regulations all over the world. There is at least one online site I recently visited that breaks those down by country/region/state, etc. Some is sold as a bear deterrent and sprays out a strong stream quite a few yards. I think you really have to get them right in the eyes for it to work at all. When I was working with protection dogs I don't know if much of anything would have deterred them except for handler's command.

One big factor in success stopping any animal is the reason for the attack, fun, fear, territory, protection of "family" or young, etc. I'm not going to advise so I suggest doing a lot of research.

You might want to jog only in areas where you know other joggers/walkers/cyclist have no problems with loose dogs, even if you have to drive to get there.

Have to share a "picture" that really sticks in my mind. Many years ago, while at my Vet's office, located in an area of town where many dogs ran loose, a walking mail carrier came in the door. She had a shallow, sling pack on the opposite side of her hip to mail bag loaded with at least a dozen different canisters of sprays, pretty good sized canisters. In my mind I see more than a dozen but it's been a long time ago. There was no time for any discussion, other than "dogs". It was a pretty incredible sight. Wish I'd had a camera. This leads me to think she was using different "types" depending on the individual dog(s) and/or the type of threat she encountered.

When I was growing up one of the most incredible dogs lived in our neighborhood. A living legend. One of those you never forget and most stories about him not very exagerated. "No Brag; just fact, mam." Shep, a GSD/Collie mix, who "owned" a family, just down the street, who were very good friends of my family, adults and kids. Shep was definitely the alpha dog for blocks around (possibly the whole town) who ruled with a firm "hand" but rarely resorted to any violence. He was supremely intelligent. I never saw him act aggressivly towards any human and few animals, other than warning barks. Virtually all of the dogs in my town ran loose and there were few fences.

Shep accompanied our walking mail carrier for more than half of his daily route and then another dog took over for the rest of the route. As I recall this carrier never had any incidents with dogs during Shep's long life. Our town was pretty small and my father worked at the Post Office so I got to hear plenty of stories about Shep. Of course he and many other neighborhood dogs were a big part of our daily lives.

For jogging, if you don't have a proven dog, maybe you could work something out with a neighbor and borrow a dog. Good for you and for your neighbor and dog. I, personally, would not use any dog but one that is well socialized and obedience trained and is physically suited for jogging.

gg=alice

Maybe I'll just get some bear spray and be done with it... :) It's a shame you even have to consider the risk of mauling on the public streets. :rant: I suppose you saw that recent story in the local news about that elderly man who was mauled by 2 dogs while on his morning walk?

Beez said:
guamguy said:
This brings up an issue I've had in mind for a while. I want to start running again in the early a.m.(around dawn) but do not feel comfortable without some kind of protection against dogs. At first I was just going to get some pepper spray, but as I was researching for a good brand I read about how it won't necessarily deter a charging dog. Great! that was the whole point...

So then I saw an ad for the HALT! product which was specifically formulated for dogs. But several reviews seem to suggest this product is not reliable either. Can the general public buy the police/military grade stuff? And do you think it is strong enough to repel an attacking dog?
If you're going to get some spray, make sure it's OC, and not "tear gas", which is less effective CN gas For OC, 10% is the best you can buy, depending on what state you live in. I was hit with 10% and I am pretty sure this stuff will take down an agressive dog.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.