Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG and QUAD DE compatible?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG and QUAD DE compatible?

I just noticed that my Pentair DE Filter QUAD 60 says for "Fresh Water Only". This was put in by our installer (last summer with new pool) with our Intellichlor IC40. Is this an issue? Should I have the filter swapped out with one that is compatible? Could this damage the SWG?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG and QUAD DE compatible?

you probably need to ask the manufacturer why.

it might have some parts inside it which corrode quickly.

it might be that the installer tried to save a bit of money, not caring about how long it will last, or it might be that the manufacturer is looking for an easy way to get out of warranty but the unit will work fine in salt water.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP.

I'm almost positive what they mean is it is not to be used in say, a salt water aquarium situation (a very large aquarium at that), or salt water pond, or a pool that is fed by actual sea water, albeit rare. Many, many Quads are in use in pools now, and more and more people are using SWGs. I would venture to guess that a majority of the Quads are being installed in new pool builds where more and more builders are installing SWGs. The salt in an SWG pool is only a fraction of that in actual sea water. Shoot, I'll bet my non SWG pool has enough salt from bleach=chlorine additions to be about 1/4 to 1/3 of what many SWGs require to operate properly. I have a Quad 80.

It's been a very long time since I've had aquariums, and mine were all fresh water, but I'll bet there are many differences between equipment for salt water vs fresh water aquariums.

There was a post, not long ago, about salt water in pools compared to sea water. I'll see if I can locate the link.

Edit - Couple of Links

is-a-salt-water-pool-same-as-sea-water-t25343.html

seawater-pools-t9088.html

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

4. Back To Top    #4

technically "fresh water" ends around 500-1000ppm...

5. Back To Top    #5

They mean that it doesn't work with ocean water (around 35,000 ppm salt). It will be just fine at SWG salt levels (around 3,000 ppm salt).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like I shouldn't worry.