Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Universal H-Series Heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Universal H-Series Heater

Thinking about replacing my Pentair Minimax NT with a Hayward Universal H. My Pentair Minimax is so unreliable and I'm sick of messing with it. Don't want to put any money into repairing a POS.

Other option would be Pentair Maxtemp.
    20k gal pool/spa, marc, 2 hp pentair whisperflo, Pentair clean & clear filter, Raypack Reheem 266 heater. Taylor K2005 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Universal H-Series Heater

The Ray-Pak/Rheem Digital with the Cupro -Nickel heat exchanger gets my vote. The two brands are the same company/heater with different distribution channels and different wind stack/vent mountings that are normally only used installed indoors or in Very windy locations. It's usually less money than the newer Pentair/Sta-Rite models (very good heater though) and I refuse to trust anything Hayward.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Everything that Scott said! It's like hitting the easy button...

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    The Ray-Pak/Rheem Digital with the Cupro -Nickel heat exchanger gets my vote. The two brands are the same company/heater with different distribution channels and different wind stack/vent mountings that are normally only used installed indoors or in Very windy locations. It's usually less money than the newer Pentair/Sta-Rite models (very good heater though) and I refuse to trust anything Hayward.

Scott
    Totally agree, Hayward is great for everything except there heaters; Rheem is the best
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

5. Back To Top    #5

I live in west Florida can I go with a Rheem digital gas heater or do I need the Digital Low NOx heater? Not sure the benefits of the Low NOx.
    20k gal pool/spa, marc, 2 hp pentair whisperflo, Pentair clean & clear filter, Raypack Reheem 266 heater. Taylor K2005 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

AFAIK, there is no need for the added expense of the the Low-Nox version

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

Installed my Raypak 266A propane heater. Easy to wire. Had a little problem setting up for Remote. The install manual was a little confusing on how the Remote works. Finally figured out that you have to turn it to "remote off" to set the temp(for pool/spa) and then turn it back to "remote" for control at the spa side remote control which basically locks the panel out at the heater.

I definitely like how quite the unit is and it heated my spa from 77 to 98 degrees in 35 min. Very happy I got ride of the Mini Max NT. Got sick of messing with that thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

Good to hear! Hope everything stays well with you!
    1971 San Juan Fiberglass pool 12,000 gallons
    New Pentair Whisperflow 1hp
    New Pentair FNS DE filter 64sq
    All 1.5" piping and no heater
    1 skimmer, 1 main drain, and 2 returns

9. Back To Top    #9

I think the new Hayward H series heaters are fine. There was an issue a few years ago, I believe, but I dont recall what it was. One of my friends has a new 300 FNP Hayward Universal H series he likes really well. Was thinking of getting one myself.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.