chriscard25

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2010
Hello,

Ok. pool installed today, filled today. 24' round ABG. Put in a pound of CYA, followed directions on container, said to brodcast. Now sitting on the bottome of my vinyl liner.... Will this hurt the liner?

It's never a good idea to let chems sit on your liner. I don't think it will cause any damage but it would be best if you could brush the pool to help it dissolve. You could also vacuum it into the filter and let it dissolve in there, just don't backwash the filter for at least a week.

That being said, 1 lb of stabilizer will only raise your CYA to around 11ppm. 30-50ppm is considered the ideal range for a manually chlorinated pool. You will need to add at least 2 more lbs of CYA to reach that level. You can put it into a sock and hang the sock in front of your pool return. Keep the pump running until the CYA has dissolved. Squeezing the sock helps the CYA disperse faster.

EDIT: Just saw your other thread about the SWG. We recommend keeping the CYA around 70 for a SWG. You will also want to dose the pool with liquid chlorine until the SWG is able to keep up with demand. It usually takes a few days for a SWG to produce enough chlorine to keep up with demand and it is easier on you and your pool if you give it a head start. Once it is up to speed it should have no problem keeping up with demand.

Thanks again. I am using trichlor until Monday as well , and have another 4 lbs of CYA available to add before the SWG goes in. Keep in mind, the SWG will not be turned on until the levels are correct.

Appreciate the feedback and help!

Distributing CYA across the pool is never a good idea. It can cause minor damage to the pool surface, usually not anything obvious, but it will tend to shorten the lifetime of the surface. The best thing to do is to vacuum it up. In the future you can add CYA by putting it in a sock and hanging the sock in front of the return jet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.