Noticed something interesting with PH testing - Taylor 2006

Aug 17, 2009
My first test always comes out low- Around 7.2-7.4. I dump it out and refill and this test seems to be accurate. I have run several tests at the same time and only the first comes out low. Am I safe to assume that the second test is more reliable than the first. Thanks in advance for your response.

When you say you refill it, do you mean you go scoop more water out of the pool for each test, or do you have a container full of water and you just pour some more of the same sample into the test block?

I have noticed that when I get a reading, I set the block aside to do the other tests, and when I look at it again in a few minutes, pH has gone up by about .2
I have been assuming it's outgassing CO2, which is also why I just invert the test block once to mix - no more shaking it. That's also why pH is the very first test I run.

Do you also test chlorine using the yellow OTO test at the same time? I found that staring at the OTO test will cause some color fatigue. For example if I look at the pH, then at the OTO, then back at the pH--the pH looks like it has gone up, because my eye isn't registering the yellow as strongly. An orange-ish pH result will look distinctly redder the second time.
--paulr

super! Thanks for your reply. I did some experimenting as well and PH needs to be tested first for a correct first read result. If you check Chlorine first you get a lower ph reading the first time out and a accurate reading the second time through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.