Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noticed something interesting with PH testing - Taylor 2006

1. Back To Top    #1

Noticed something interesting with PH testing - Taylor 2006

My first test always comes out low- Around 7.2-7.4. I dump it out and refill and this test seems to be accurate. I have run several tests at the same time and only the first comes out low. Am I safe to assume that the second test is more reliable than the first. Thanks in advance for your response.
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noticed something interesting with PH testing - Taylor 2006

Guess I'll have to try a couple back-to-back pH test tomorrow and see what happens.

Do you rinse your vial out with pool water before doing the first test?
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep!
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

4. Back To Top    #4

When you say you refill it, do you mean you go scoop more water out of the pool for each test, or do you have a container full of water and you just pour some more of the same sample into the test block?

I have noticed that when I get a reading, I set the block aside to do the other tests, and when I look at it again in a few minutes, pH has gone up by about .2
    I have been assuming it's outgassing CO2, which is also why I just invert the test block once to mix - no more shaking it. That's also why pH is the very first test I run.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Refill is a dumping of the old water, flushing it with the pool water and then adding fresh h20 from the pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you do your chlorine test first with the lid on rinse the lid before you do the PH test.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry, got home late yesterday so I didn't test the pool until this morning. I did back-to-back pH tests using the Taylor K-2006 kit, both came in at 7.6. I don't know why you get two different readings.
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Do you also test chlorine using the yellow OTO test at the same time? I found that staring at the OTO test will cause some color fatigue. For example if I look at the pH, then at the OTO, then back at the pH--the pH looks like it has gone up, because my eye isn't registering the yellow as strongly. An orange-ish pH result will look distinctly redder the second time.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

9. Back To Top    #9

super! Thanks for your reply. I did some experimenting as well and PH needs to be tested first for a correct first read result. If you check Chlorine first you get a lower ph reading the first time out and a accurate reading the second time through.