Another 'Just bought a house" Post

Aug 5, 2010
Hi

When we looked at this house we knew the pool was neglected and old and we knew the liner was gone. We figured we'd fill it in, especially since we're in southern Massachusetts where the pool season is short, and, well....the pool looks pretty horrible.

All I know is that the pool was installed in 1961, gunite walls, sand bottom. There is a bath house where the pump, etc is housed. Wire bringing juice to the bathhouse has been severed, so there' s that little joy, too.

I took a picture of the most horrible looking part of the pool because I figured I'd get some straight advice from pool owners/contractors at a forum. So I registered here and made this post.

Should we fix this puppy up or fill it in. I know, it's a crazy question to ask, and unfair, too. But I'm askin' nontheless and I'm hoping for some brutal advice.

It's a nice size pool and those midnight swims are so very cool, but what a state it's currently in.

Thanks, a lot.

Attachments

• neglected-pool.jpeg
    neglected-pool.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 342
Oh my, that would definitely be a bit of work to rehab. I guess the answer would depend on how much you want a pool and can you swing the finances to fix it up. It never hurts to get a few estimates.

Re: Another 'Just bought a house" Post

I have to go get on the computer to see the picture, if you posted one. Can't see some of the pictures posted here on my phone for some reason. But even without seeing it, my vote is to fix it. It'll be a blast! I just fixed up an old above ground pool, and while I can't exactly say I had fun doing it, I'm sure glad I did! I spend probably three hours a day in it, and longer on the weekends!

The people here will help you fix it up in any way they can, and then help you keep your water sparkling clean! There's some truly amazing people here!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Oh my! Maybe I should've looked before I leaped! :roll:

If that's gunite... The rust is from the rebar? Rusty rebar, probably not a good thing. I'm going with zea on this one. It's going to probably come down to your finances, and how much you want a pool. Personally, I'd go for it, but that's just me. :mrgreen:

Of course we need a hundred more pictures of that pool, with about 95 of them being close up pictures of various places. Have you removed the coping to see what it looks like under there?

Another thought that popped in my head since it was built in 1961... What's the plumbing made of? PVC? Steel? I'd probably check the plumbing first. If you have to put in new plumbing, you might as well just put a new pool in!

...I still wouldn't fill it in. Again, just me. :-D

Looks like a normal steel walled pool to me, with rust at the creases and edges. The coping stones need to be reset, the walls sanded and painted with corrosion-resistant paint, the floor repaired, new wall foam and liner, likely new equipment, and possibly new plumbing. Any of those things could be fairly simple or prohibitively difficult, it's hard to say from just one picture. As zea3 said, a few estimates wouldn't hurt, and some people on this site can probably give you a ballpark figure even sooner. If you post some more pictures of the pool and equipment area (especially anything that looks more than cosmetically damaged), we can get a better idea of the big picture.

Wow, I thought mine was bad. Actually the inside of our foreclosure had that feeling to it :(

Read some more posts/pool school on the upkeep of a pool as well. You'll find people who want to fill theirs in and it's in fine structural condition....

That being said - I wouldn't give mine up for the world. Especially if you got kids now or later.

Wow, after I posted this one of the kids that grew up here happened by (he's 59 now). He says the filter is new and the thing is 42' x 28'. 3' at its shallowest and 8.5 feet under the diving board. I'm skeptical on the size but it's pretty big. And he also mentioned that this pool was the first installed in our town. Dang -- now it has historical significance and I'm kinda obligated to fix it.

Thanks a lot for all your responses. Melt, yours was really great. Those details put it in perspective. Here's another picture...My boy is 4'6" for perspective, but I zoomed in to take this pic so it's all distorted anyway.

Attachments

• neglected-pool2.jpeg
    neglected-pool2.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 312
Actually it looks better at this angle. The structure looks fairly intact. If you let us know what area you are in we may be able to steer you toward someone who can come take a look at it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We think so, too. I feel better about the task of it after posting here. Grazie.

Today we cleaned the area up pretty good. The tarps are out and drying....bittersweet gone...plants managed.

Optimistic.

I just saw this thread. I live in central mass, so im in the area. :-D

I'm going to be brutally honest. That thing is a goner. It's old, and I'm not even sure you could get a liner for that. The walls are done for; rusted out. The bottom is pure dirt/sand. Even if the walls could be rehabed, that floor is not good. They dont build them like that anymore. It's also out of level (from just the picture). Honestly, you will be hard pressed to find anybody that would recommend even attempting to fix that up.

Maybe i'm wrong and you would find someone to fix it up, but i seriously doubt it. If you want a pool, fill that in, and get a good, modern AGP. Or if you have or want to spend some money for a nice IG, I know a good vinyl builder. But..he wouldnt touch that one. Just my opinion, so you know what opinions are like, everybody has one. :wink:
Where do you live, BTW?

bk406 thanks for your comment. We're on the Mass/Ct line off 31 near the best ice-cream ever! You know... I got a visit from the past owners the other day and he says there's a place in Southbridge that knows the pool and came out to see it a year ago and is optimistic about repair. When we looked at the house we had no interest in the pool but since I've found out it's the first in town the 'historical significance' isn't something I want to walk away from.

Heh...nothing's ever easy. Maybe the local historical society will pitch in!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.