Rain turned pool orange !!!!

ttomp

Jul 22, 2010
Gonzales, LA
I just filled it the other day (well water) and when I added chlorine it turned orange so I added a metal sequestrant. That cleared it up so yesterday I shocked it with bleach and it was fine late yesterday evening. We got a big rain today and it turned it orange again. Does rain have metals in it or do I have something else going on? What do I do now?

Cl2 10ppm
pH 7.4
TA 110
CYA 20 (stabilizer dissolving now in pool)

I think there was a couple things that happened here. One you added sequestrant a week ago. You then shocked the pool, THEN it rained. High chlorine levels will precipitate out iron and it has been long enough that you were close to needing a maintenence dose of sequestrant again, then the rain diluted the sequestrant dose a bit more and probably raised the pH as Dave said, and voila, it turned orange.

I wrote all that just to agree with Dave "Add more sequestrant"! us Daves got to stick together.

I think the idea of iron precipitating out after a pH change is sound, except for the fact that rainwater is slightly to moderately acidic; normally in the 5 to 6 range due to dissolved carbon dioxide (carbonic acid), but could be more acidic near urban areas due to air pollutants. I don't have any other bright ideas, but I thought I would throw a wrench into the works here - sorry :?

:idea: How about temperature change? Cooler temperature rainwater - decreases iron solubility, iron precipitates, orange water. Or, increase in oxygen level, leading to ferric iron (tri-valent) as opposed to ferrous iron, the more soluble form.

DWSPool said:
I think the idea of iron precipitating out after a pH change is sound, except for the fact that rainwater is slightly to moderately acidic; normally in the 5 to 6 range due to dissolved carbon dioxide (carbonic acid), but could be more acidic near urban areas due to air pollutants. I don't have any other bright ideas, but I thought I would throw a wrench into the works here - sorry :?

Rain always raises my pH. It may be mechanical and due to the aeration from the raindrops hitting the water in the pool, but inevitably I have to add acid after a heavy rain.

I did add sequestrant yesterday evening cause I didn't want to wait to long so I just did it. It looks better this morning but I still need some more. I didnt want to over do it. I just wanted to make sure that it was possible for the rain to cause this and not something else. Once again Thanks !!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.