Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rain turned pool orange !!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Rain turned pool orange !!!!

I just filled it the other day (well water) and when I added chlorine it turned orange so I added a metal sequestrant. That cleared it up so yesterday I shocked it with bleach and it was fine late yesterday evening. We got a big rain today and it turned it orange again. Does rain have metals in it or do I have something else going on? What do I do now?

Cl2 10ppm
    pH 7.4
    TA 110
    CYA 20 (stabilizer dissolving now in pool)
    17,000 gal. AG with Pentair Clean and Clear 100 cartridge filter and 1 1/2 hp pump at about 55 GPM.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Rain turned pool orange !!!!

Add more sequestrant. The rain apparently changed the pH just enough to allow the metal to precipitate.....very unusual....How much rain did you have?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Just by guessing I would say 2-3 inches between last night and today. Raised my pool level about 4 inches til it was overflowing through the skimmer.
    17,000 gal. AG with Pentair Clean and Clear 100 cartridge filter and 1 1/2 hp pump at about 55 GPM.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think there was a couple things that happened here. One you added sequestrant a week ago. You then shocked the pool, THEN it rained. High chlorine levels will precipitate out iron and it has been long enough that you were close to needing a maintenence dose of sequestrant again, then the rain diluted the sequestrant dose a bit more and probably raised the pH as Dave said, and voila, it turned orange.

I wrote all that just to agree with Dave "Add more sequestrant"! us Daves got to stick together.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I think the idea of iron precipitating out after a pH change is sound, except for the fact that rainwater is slightly to moderately acidic; normally in the 5 to 6 range due to dissolved carbon dioxide (carbonic acid), but could be more acidic near urban areas due to air pollutants. I don't have any other bright ideas, but I thought I would throw a wrench into the works here - sorry
    25 K gal, vinyl, IG, next to forest,liquid chlorine and tab chlorinator backup,55gpm sand filter,1.5hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

How about temperature change? Cooler temperature rainwater - decreases iron solubility, iron precipitates, orange water. Or, increase in oxygen level, leading to ferric iron (tri-valent) as opposed to ferrous iron, the more soluble form.
    25 K gal, vinyl, IG, next to forest,liquid chlorine and tab chlorinator backup,55gpm sand filter,1.5hp pump

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Add more sequestrant
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by DWSPool
    I think the idea of iron precipitating out after a pH change is sound, except for the fact that rainwater is slightly to moderately acidic; normally in the 5 to 6 range due to dissolved carbon dioxide (carbonic acid), but could be more acidic near urban areas due to air pollutants. I don't have any other bright ideas, but I thought I would throw a wrench into the works here - sorry
    Rain always raises my pH. It may be mechanical and due to the aeration from the raindrops hitting the water in the pool, but inevitably I have to add acid after a heavy rain.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

9. Back To Top    #9

I did add sequestrant yesterday evening cause I didn't want to wait to long so I just did it. It looks better this morning but I still need some more. I didnt want to over do it. I just wanted to make sure that it was possible for the rain to cause this and not something else. Once again Thanks !!!!!