Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for pool shape ideas

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for pool shape ideas

Hi, first post to this forum...been reading a while to get some ideas. My backyard is narrow at one end and opens up at the other. Narrow end, keeping in mind concrete and space to the fence and deck, will allow me to get 12 feet of pool in width (for about 15 feet of length) and then I can expand to 16 feet width (for about 20 feet). My plan is to utilize the narrow end for shallow and then as it widens, drop to deep. The shape will be a humback kidney.

I will post pictures of the yard later today. Does anyone have suggestions or pictures of similar pool setups?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking for pool shape ideas

Welcome to TFP.

I'd recommend you take the time to understand the effect pool shape has on the use of a solar blanket. I realize you may not be able to choose a shape that is good for a solar blanket reel, but sometimes minor changes can make a big difference in how convenient it is to use.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Anywhere you can point me to some information on this? I intend to use a solar blanket, so do need to keep this in mind

Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

Johnt makes a good point. But, IMO, dont decide on a pool shape just based on that. I have a kidney, a solar blanket, and a reel. It work just fine. Maybe some of the free forms might be an issue, but a humpback kidney isnt an issue.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

where do you have a roller typicallyin a humback kidney? Is it at the wider end or the narrower end, or lengthwise?

6. Back To Top    #6

On a kidney, you put the roller on the wider end, and put the roller over the pool instead of on the end. You actually have about 4-5 feet of pool and cover behind the roller.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

If over the pool, how is the 4-5 feet covered? Do you essentially have 2 solar blankets?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Styx555
    If over the pool, how is the 4-5 feet covered? Do you essentially have 2 solar blankets?
    No, you anchor your straps on the cover directly under the reel and it rolls it up from both directions. Sometimes you have to unfold the short end by hand when putting the cover on the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Quote Originally Posted by Styx555
    No, you anchor your straps on the cover directly under the reel and it rolls it up from both directions. Sometimes you have to unfold the short end by hand when putting the cover on the pool.
    Yep, what JohnT said. If I think of it, i'll snap a pict of how I have mine and post it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Styx, how about a picture of the area in question?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

11. Back To Top    #11

will post tonight when I get home

12. Back To Top    #12

A few pics to help out. The pool will be 36 feet long, 13 feet wide at shallow end and 17 feet wide at deep end
    Attached Images Attached Images