Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: still baffled by air leak

1. Back To Top    #1

SF Bay Area (Lamorinda), CA

still baffled by air leak

well, I think we've tried checking all the obvious air leak candidates (pump basket, skimmer basket, copper/PVC joint, PVC pipe to pump basket, am I forgetting anything - previous thread here
    When the pump is off, the water level in the pump basket is stable, so if I bleed the air and leave the pump off overnight, the water level doesn't drop noticeably. I don't notice the water level dropping while the pump is running (although I can't say I've been watching it closely), but when I check on it after the filter has finished running, the water level has dropped to at least below the level where the PVC pipe enters the basket case (basket case being what I feel like after dealing with this ). This evening hubby checked it and when he opened the basket, he had to add about 7-8 gallons of water to get the basket filled again (he said the water was running back towards the skimmer as he filled it, so he's guessing the 7-8 gallons is the capacity of the pipe running back to the skimmer)

We're at a loss for ideas now - any suggestions?
    1950's-era 17K gallon formerly fiberglass, newly replastered IG rectangle (~15x30'),
    Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump
    Clear ThermaTex bubble cover
    Manual vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: still baffled by air leak

Sometimes these suction side air leaks can be a bear to find, especially the ones that are not in the normal places. I hate to say it but it might be time for a leak detection company.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: still baffled by air leak

This is very obvious, so I'm sure you've checked it, but make sure the drain plugs in the pump are tight. Mine were'nt leaking when my pool was opened by a "pro" this year, but when I ran the pump they'd suck air past the threads and caused me all kinds of headaches. So obvious that it was a pain to track it down!