Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backfill Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Backfill Question

It seems like the one consistent thing among all IG Vinyl kit makers is that you cannot use expandable material to backfill the overdig. Unfortunately that includes my central NC heavy clay dirt.

Why is it that expandable material cannot be used? Is it prone to swelling and exerting too much force on the pool wall? Thanks.
    -- Building a DIY 16' X 32' IG Vinyl Rectangle

2. Back To Top    #2
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Backfill Question

I didn't follow the link above but the soils here in NC are not very compactable....cracked concrete decking soon follows.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Backfill Question

Great article! My main concern was whether the expanding soil would damage the pool wall, but it looks like the main problem is deck related. I plan on building a wooden deck anyway so I think I'm OK to use the clay dirt as backfill.

However, I will install a drain at the bottom of the overdig as well as use sono-tubes to pour piers in the overdig to build the deck on.
    -- Building a DIY 16' X 32' IG Vinyl Rectangle