Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa Frog

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa Frog

I have a new (last year) fiberglass spa and when I purchased it the dealer gave me the 'Spa Frog' system. I have been using it as stated but I don't sem to have water that is quite as clear as my old bromine tab spa. What are the thoughts of this mineral based system? What are the guidelines for maintaining chemistry with these?
    20K Gal Blue Plaster IG with rock waterfall, Beach Entry, Hayward Goldline Pro Logic controller and SWG,
    Sta-Rite System 3 S7M400 cartridge filter, 1-1/2 HP pump, Energy Therm Heat Pump, Nexxus Savi LED lighting

500 Gal Dynasty Miramax Fiberglass Cinema Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa Frog

I'm not a fan of the Frog in general, but some use them in spas with more success than pools. You still have to maintain proper levels tho. Can you post a full set of results from the spa? How are you testing?

You can read about mineral ionizers here:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/alter...uth-t3025.html
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

I was told that I would need to maintain very little bromine if I used the frog. Lately I have been maintaining normal levels with the floater and basically treating it like a bromine dispenser. I'm thinking when I use up my CASE of bromine cartridges I will let the frog leap on out of the spa.
    20K Gal Blue Plaster IG with rock waterfall, Beach Entry, Hayward Goldline Pro Logic controller and SWG,
    Sta-Rite System 3 S7M400 cartridge filter, 1-1/2 HP pump, Energy Therm Heat Pump, Nexxus Savi LED lighting

4. Back To Top    #4

And I am testing with a Leslies/Taylors kit, a DPD kit. I will test tomorrow and post my results. Still trying to get the hang of all this teating and chemical stuff for the pool and the spa. UGH!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kgriggs
    I was told that I would need to maintain very little bromine if I used the frog. Lately I have been maintaining normal levels with the floater and basically treating it like a bromine dispenser. I'm thinking when I use up my CASE of bromine cartridges I will let the frog leap on out of the spa.

We were all "told" alot of things. Most of it is pure hogwash.

I'd ditch the frog - it's expensive to replace the mineral cartridge and honestly - you don't need it.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Today's test:

Taylor's drop test:
    Total Bromine 4
    pH 7.8
    TA 90

Dip tests:
    Hardness 180-250 (2 tests)
    CYA 30
    TDS 500

7. Back To Top    #7

Any comments? Are there any good guides on here for spa chemical balance?

8. Back To Top    #8

Using Bromine in a Spa
    Using Chlorine in a Spa

Your numbers look good. Read the bromine link above for more info. It didn't sound like you initially created a sodium bromide bank and just started with bromine tabs so you might not be able to create enough bromine by shocking with chlorine or MPS at least at first. So if you skipped that initial step, you could add some sodium bromide to the water to be sure you have enough. Just remember that the floating feeder isn't going to give you enough sanitizer/oxidizer to handle your bather waste. It's designed to handle the times when you aren't using the spa. You need to add chlorine or MPS after your soak to handle your bather waste. A rough rule-of-thumb is that every person-hour of soaking in a hot (104ºF) spa needs around 5 fluid ounces of 6% bleach or 7 teaspoons of MPS. This assumes that you don't have an ozonator. With an ozonator, the amounts that are needed are roughly half. These are just guidelines and you should use your test kit as a guide to whether you are adding enough.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the help. So much to learn and try to keep straight!