Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cracked sand filter tank

1. Back To Top    #1

cracked sand filter tank

After two failed attempts to repair a crack in the seam of my sand filter, I am turning to the pros! What I have is a plastic tank (150 lbs) sand filter with about a 3/8 split in the seam. I'v tried 2 part epoxy, and quick steel on both the inside and outside of the tank and both have failed within seconds of turning on the pump, both just peel (epoxy) and break (quick steel) off the plastic very easily like its not adhering to the plastic (yes i sanded it first). So... does any one have any idea of a way to fix this? I am leaning towards fiberglass, but not too sure if it will stick to the plastic ? what i really need is something that chemically bounds too the plastic, if such a products exists. Any help is greatly appreciated...
    24' x 48" Delair AGP (11,894.40 gal)
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D 24" (325lb) sand filter in tandem
    with Hayward 75 sf. cartridge filter
    Hayward power flo matrix pump 1hp
    Pool rover Jr.
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cracked sand filter tank

It's a pressure vessel so not only are you going to have a problem finding something that'll hold you really shouldn't try and repair it. I hate to bear that news but you should just replace it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Plastaid might work. Fiberglass is cheaper for the amount. I'd just get a new filter though it's not worth having to worry about the patch breaking when your not home
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

My filter expands and contracts when the pump is turned on and off. I assume all but the stainless steel ones do as well. That makes it tough for any kind of patch to hold up.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Try sticking a piece of PVC on the inside with a Modified Silane Polymer. We call them pool plasters The plastic will spread the load to the surrounding area of the tank and hold together your glue.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

6. Back To Top    #6

wow, i haven't thought about the leaving the pump on while no ones home part... i guess that changes things a bit. i don't think i need any thing else to worry about while away so i guess its time to go shopping for a new sand filter thank you everyone for the help, you guys just saved me a big headache in the future i think
    Pool rover Jr.
    Taylor K-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

Should you decide to go with a new filter, I would strongly suggest upgrading to a 250lb sand filter. it will cut down on backwashing and improve your flow rate
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

For emphasis, I want to agree with dmanb2b. You'll never regret that.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Should you decide to go with a new filter, I would strongly suggest upgrading to a 250lb sand filter. it will cut down on backwashing and improve your flow rate
    I'm more than likely going to do that but I'm also contemplating going with a cartridge filter instead of sand ? I'm still in the research stage so i am definitely open to opinions at this point...
    Pool rover Jr.
    Taylor K-2006

10. Back To Top    #10

Either will do great...here is a a Great example of sand filter water your veryl welcome for the plug, dave!

water-clarity-and-showin-off-just-a-little-t23969.html
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator