Did I just ruin my brand new pump?

Aug 4, 2010
I have a 1 HP Waterford Systems swimming pool pump by Sta-Rite. I am a new, first time pool owner and I just made a huge error. I had my pump running for approx. 24+ hours with the valve shut off (therefore no water was going to the pump). It's been raining, so I've not been in the pool to notice that it wasn't moving water. As soon as I got in and nothing was coming out of the return jet, I jumped out and opened the valve. Everything works like normal, but my question is--Did I just doom my pump to an early death? My manual says it could damage the seals, causing leaking and flooding. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The elaborate on what Bama said, if you do see water (even a small amount) leaking onto the motor shaft, you should replace the shaft seal immediately. This is cheap and easy to do. If you don't do it, the water will ruin the motor itself, and that means $$$.

Thanks for the answers. My next question is this: did I even need to have that valve closed in the first place? When not running your pump, do you have to close the valve that is before the pump, or do you leave it open? (I watched my owner's video and read all my manuals and don't see the answer to this question.)

The valve is probably only there to make it easy to do pump/filter maintenance. I don't know the layout but if the valve must necessarily shut off when the pump stops you could consider inserting a check valve that closes automatically when the pump stops and then automatically opens under pressure when you restart the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.