Day One - First Pool

Jul 13, 2010
Fairfield near Cincinnati OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
just finished installing our new doughboy, 21 x 41 AG pool - our first and wow, we are excited! as we are not yet up to TFP speed, we took a day one water sample to the pool store - the water in the pool came entirely from the city/county public drinking water system. the pool store test results:
CYA 0
Total CL .4
Free CL 0
pH 7.4
Tot Alkalinity 42
Hardness 114

she gave us the following items to put in the pool in this order, 30 min apart -
12 lbs Adjust Alkalinity
1 1/2 lbs Adjust pH
5 gal 10% CL
Stabilizer 8 lbs (i did not take the algacide)

we put everything in 2 days ago ... the water looks / feels clear / great and we have been swimming both days.

tested w/ a Pentair test kit (only one in the store - we have ordered the Taylor TF-100):
CL 3
pH 7.6
alkalinity ... tried twice and it seems to come in at 150 ppm ?

so ... how do we get to TFP methods from here?

thanks for the awesome site.

Fairfield, near Cincinnati OH

You are already there... :goodjob:

It sounds like they screwed up the Alkalinity test. Given the 12lbs of Adjust Alkalinity (you could have used baking soda) your TA should only be around 70

Given the 8 lbs of stabilizer your CYA should be around 30. If you get a lot of sun on the pool you may want to bring this up to 40-50.

You are using liquid chlorine, which is fantastic.

You will find that your pH rises when you are using liquid chlorine with high TA, so you will probably need muriatic acid soon. Whenever the pH gets over 7.8 add enough to bring it down to 7.5 and your TA will come down slowly.

Other than that, congratulations!

ETA, what was the "1 1/2 lbs Adjust pH"? Your pH was fine at the time, and there is no such thing as "pH adjust. It is either pH down (acid) or pH up (base).

ETA, what was the "1 1/2 lbs Adjust pH"? Your pH was fine at the time, and there is no such thing as "pH adjust. It is either pH down (acid) or pH up (base).

i think it was to 'lower' ... upon re-reading the test results (handwritten) pH may have been 7.9 - this would make more sense?

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Sounds like you're off to a great start. As svenpup suggested, your willingness to learn how to manage your own pool makes you a BBB'r already.

'Til your test kit gets in, I would suggest focusing on keeping your FC between 2-4ppm (it'll take daily additions).

Then, post a set of test results and we'll see if anything needs tweaking. :lol:

One more thing occurred to me. You said "we put everything in 2 days ago." Does this include the 5 gallons of chlorine? Chlorine should be added each day to bring FC up to a target level which is chosen to ensure that with FC loss throughout the day FC never falls below minimum. Your target and minimum FC are determined by CYA level. Check out the CYA/Chlorine chart link in my signature.

Have you familiarized yourself with the pool calculator?

thnx svenpup, duraleigh & frustratedpoolmom - the help is great.

yes, we were initially told (before TFP) to put the 5 gal of CL in (the 3rd, 3 days ago inclusive). tonight i used the pentair test kit:

CL - 2.5
pH - 7.5
TA - 130

we have not added anything else - waiting on the TF-100 test kit for accurate readings.

and we’ve been swimming A LOT - wow, we should have done this sooner!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.