Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fence Height???

1. Back To Top    #1

Fence Height???

We are going with a black aluminum style fence. The fence will be a complete square around the patio with more space for mulch.

I'm having trouble on deciding on height. Which do you think looks best... 4.5 feet high or 5 feet high?

Any advice?
    76549 Liters -- Cartridge Filter -- In Ground -- Vinyl -- TF-100 Test Kit -- AquaVac Robotic Cleaner -- UV Sanitation -- Winter Safety Cover -- Installed 2010 -- Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Latest Test Results June 25:
    FC - 6, CC - 0, CYA - 40, CH - 110, TA - 90, pH - 7.5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fence Height???

Is this the only fence around your pool area? If so, check local codes for min fence height. Besides that, I think either would look great.
    13,000 gal AGP, Hayward X-Stream 100 sq ft cartridge, 1 HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump, all on two 6-hour on cycles per day. Baquacil to BBB convert.
    "It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself." - Hyman G. Rickover

3. Back To Top    #3

Does you state have a pool barrier code? Here in AZ the top of the fence has to be at least 5' above grade, which looks good as well as being functional..
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

4. Back To Top    #4

And what about animals or children...do you need to worry about either being able to jump over your fence? I'm in the "higher-is-better" crowd................
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Triton II TR50 sand filter
    Hayward SharkVac XL cleaner; Emerson 1HP pump
    Bioguard Mineral Springs SWG
    2 skimmers

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for your responses. My town's bylaws says at least 5' high. But when I drive around and look at other homes on my street (newer pools), some have 4 feet. So, I'm confused... others are definitely below 5 feet.

This is the only fence on my property... I have a 40 foot wide x 16 foot deck with stairs overlooking my pool. The gate/fence will start about 8 feet from the deck. 5 feet is so high, you have to tip toe to see over it. And notice that 4.5 feet is up to my chest... I can see everything. I'm just hoping 5 feet isn't so big, tall and and too high for the pool area since it's around the pool area only. I may not have a choice though if my town's bylaws is legit.
    76549 Liters -- Cartridge Filter -- In Ground -- Vinyl -- TF-100 Test Kit -- AquaVac Robotic Cleaner -- UV Sanitation -- Winter Safety Cover -- Installed 2010 -- Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Latest Test Results June 25:
    FC - 6, CC - 0, CYA - 40, CH - 110, TA - 90, pH - 7.5

6. Back To Top    #6

I would go by the laws of your town/county. You could pay fines and have to redo it if they ever came out for an inspection for whatever reason and the fence wasn't to code.
    Plus if you put in a lower height fence than required by law and something awful were to happen you may be held responsible.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Check with your homeowners insurance company too. Their requirements may be different from your homeonwers association by- laws or your county building codes. The county may say 4.5 but your homeowners ins may require 5 ft.
    18x33 Delair Sunsation GS AGP Oval 4 shallow-6 deep mostly buried

8. Back To Top    #8

If you can, get the gates with an arch at the top. It looks a little nicer, breaks up the long horizontal lines of the fence and makes the entrance a focal point.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG