Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Check Valve Usage

1. Back To Top    #1

Check Valve Usage

I am replumbing my equipment pad, and had planned on placing a check valve before the pump. On occasion when pumping my DE filter, DE will flush back in to the pump basket. The only check valves I was able to find were spring loaded, solid body. Should I use these, or just skip the check valve altogether? The pump basket cover will be just about 1/2" lower than the level of the pool water.
    17,000 Gallon plaster pool. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE Filter. 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump converted to dual speed. CircuPool RJ45. Skimmer, floor drain, two returns.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Check Valve Usage

See if you can find the Jandy Swing Check Valves. They have the same footprint as all the other Jandy valves, but have a clear top so you can see the check valve portion when it is flowing.

I like to take the springs out and let the valve close by water pressure, as opposed to having them have to fight the spring to open.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If I understand your application, I would consider simply installing a shut-off valve. Cheaper than the check valve and more reliable....check valves are always a potential problem asource and shut-off valves seldom are.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

C'mon guys!

The only check valve you need to install is the one IN the filter!

In the pipe that comes from the pump into the bottom of the filter there is a flapper valve - yours is probably missing. The part # is ECX- 407781. It's accessible without opening up the filter tank and is quick and easy to do

If you want to tackle this yourself, I'll help walk you through it (** however, I'm in the midst of moving and can't guarantee a 1 day answer - but since I've now told you what the problem is, I'm sure someone else will step up, should I fail to respond in a timely manner )

I think they cost ~ $10.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

In the pipe that comes from the pump into the bottom of the filter there is a flapper valve
    Is that in all DE filters? If so, I have never known that. There has never been one in my sand filter.....should there have been? How about cartridge?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Dave, this is only for the Hayward "EC" filters. ( I imagine that the other 'bump style' filters are the same)

As opposed to sand or cart filters, DE filters are 'bottom fed' with dirty pool water.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, I see now where there is supposed to be a check valve on the inlet side of the EC65. Mine is missing or stuck. I'll need to examine it when I tear it down this weekend.

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_filter_ ... _ec-65.htm
    17,000 Gallon plaster pool. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE Filter. 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump converted to dual speed. CircuPool RJ45. Skimmer, floor drain, two returns.