Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Inground Pool Kit - questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Inground Pool Kit - questions

I'm installing an in ground pool kit, have some questions, can't decide on some items and I get conflicting answers.

Pool dimensions are 16'x38', the pump will be another 30' away.

Specific questions are:
    - 1.5HP two speed, 1HP single speed or variable speed pump: which is best? which get's me the best value over time? generally how much more are variable speed pumps?
    - 1.5" or 2" plumbing: which is best?
    - Hayward or Sta-Rite equipment? any real difference in quality?
    - steel panel pool kit or polymer panel? I'm in CT where I know I have some clay soil (not sure if clay is neutral or acidic?)

any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
    20k gal pool/spa, marc, Intellichlor SWG, 2 hp pentair whisperflo, Pentair clean & clear filter, Raypack Reheem 266 heater. Taylor K2005 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Inground Pool Kit - questions

Welcome to TFP.

Electric rates, season length and your filter size will determine the best pump value.

2" is better.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Personal Preference is Sta-Rite over Hayward. Better overall quality,

2" for everything except the return stubs at the pool wall.

Depending on power costs, I suggest either a 2 Speed 1 HP SuperMax or Intellipro VF or VS+SVRS. Souther Cal power is very expensive and if you are in an elevated tier, the Intellipro can pay off. A lot depends on the rest of the equipment. Salt cells, in-line and off line chlorinators, and heaters have minimum flow requirements. We need to know it all first.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool season is only 3-4 months here, electric just cost me $.18 per k/hr and filter size.. was thinking of the Hayward DE3620.

Anyone know about the Chorline Genie (http://www.poolwatersecret.com)? found that last night
    20k gal pool/spa, marc, Intellichlor SWG, 2 hp pentair whisperflo, Pentair clean & clear filter, Raypack Reheem 266 heater. Taylor K2005 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

I prefer a 48 sq. ft. DE. Better flow with 2" pipe.

The two speed should serve you more cost effectively initially. If electric rates stay stable, and I think they will locally, you'll be fine.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.