Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stains versus Mustard

1. Back To Top    #1

Stains versus Mustard

My pool is crystal clear and the overnight FC does not change. All drop test are normal except CH is 360

In the deep end I see a couple of spots that are brownish/yellow. These spots do not change when I brush them with a wire brush and do not appear to be growing or changing.

How do I differentiate between stains or MA? If stained how do I get rid of them?
    17,000 gal in ground with spa, wet edge surface, Paramount PCC 2000 in-floor cleaner,Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 520 Cartridge filter, 3 hp Pentair Intelliflo VS SVRS pump , waterfall with 1 1/2 hp booster, Del ozone Eclipse1 ozonator, puck feeder. Borates added 8/2/2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stains versus Mustard

MA would brush off.

A complete test results is needed. Your hardness level is a bit on the high side and if the pH and/or Alk levels are too high, scale will form.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Agree with PoolGuyNJ in that we need to see the test numbers.

Are the spots in question raised? Any chance that they could be metal stains?

4. Back To Top    #4

OK here are the results. FC 7.5 put in 2 quarts at 4pm. CC 0.5 pH 7.5 T/A 130 CH 320 CYA 50 Temp 91 degrees

The spots don't appear to be raised. I haven't used any copper based algaecides but I am not aware of metal in my water but I guess they could be metal. How can I tell?
    17,000 gal in ground with spa, wet edge surface, Paramount PCC 2000 in-floor cleaner,Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 520 Cartridge filter, 3 hp Pentair Intelliflo VS SVRS pump , waterfall with 1 1/2 hp booster, Del ozone Eclipse1 ozonator, puck feeder. Borates added 8/2/2010

5. Back To Top    #5

Hold a Vitamin C Tablet on the stains. If they are iron, they will fade rather quickly. If they are copper, they may change in appearance or darken...

A trichlor tablet held on the stain, if it fades, would mean the staining is organic.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

These spots are in the deep end. How long do I hold the different substances to the spot?

7. Back To Top    #7

Vitamin C will work almost immediately if its iron. The others could take longer. You may have to try to figure out a way to hold the tablets on the spots...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Crush the tabs, put the powder in a nylon sock with a rock in with it to hold it down.

Added:

I suspect scale though. If nothing happens with either the Vit. C or trichlor tab, it's a good bet.

If you could post a pic...

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.