Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water from DE Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Water from DE Filter

I have a Hayward DE filter. When the pump goes off I can hear water leaving the filter. When I start it up again there is quite a bit of air blown into the pool before water fills up the filter and am back to "normal". This morning I took the strainer basket top off and saw water coming from the filter and back through the strainer toward the pool with the water in the basket being "DE cloudy". Thoughts ? Multiport - spider gasket ?
    Pool: 15,000 gallon 32'x18', 3'-6' deep in-ground gunite pool, Sta-Rite 3 125 GPM 2-filter cartrige, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, solar heater, Goldline SWG, Jandy controls, opaque automatic CoverStar solar pool cover, 3 waterfalls (not from spa).
    Spa: 485 gallon in-ground square acrylic over fiberglass suspended over gunite Sunset brand spa, isolated system, natural gas heater, 2-speed (4hp/11hp) main pump, 3hp booster pump, chlorine sanitized.

To my pool store owner, nothing is more important than my pool and my money.

Richard's PoolEquations Spreadsheet

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Water from DE Filter

Thoughts ? Multiport - spider gasket ?
    Almost surely a suction side air leak. Somewhere between the skimmer and the pump body, air is being sucked into the system. The water flows backwards out of the filter because you have "pressurized" the filter with the air.

Most common causes are at the pump strainer basket and any unions/joints you may have on the suction side.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Duraleigh is correct, you've probably just got a suction side leak somewhere

I hate to yell, but ALWAYS OPEN THE MANUAL AIR RELIEF WHEN YOU START THE PUMP UP. This is one thing that really bugs me about our competitors products, their external air reliefs are poorly marked, and the instructions don't really clearly mention that they need to be used, but they do. If you don't do this, there is a chance you could really hurt yourself.
    In-ground Filters Engineer
    Pentair Water Pool and Spa, Inc.
    1620 Hawkins Ave
    Sanford, NC 27330

4. Back To Top    #4

Coastalish 'down easter'

Which type of filter do you have? If it's an EC ## the flapper backflow prevention valve, in the input pipe to the filter from the pump, is shot or missing. Otherwise, listen to Dave and our new friend Brice.

Welcome to TFP Brice!! (hate to ask a favor right after welcoming you here but could you see if you can't help with the part needed in this post? Thanks and it's great to see industry guys here )
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

NE Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by BriceJohnson
    Brice, I never knew this . Thanks for shouting...I might have missed it.

I've also just noticed DE in my pump skimmer area and figured the non-return valve between the pump and filter was shot. I was just hoping to see the season through before replacing it but I guess if water backs up AND if I had a discharge side air leak (I don't but anything could change), that could be a problem.
    21' X 52" above ground
    1 HP Hayward Power Flow Matrix Pump
    Hayward EC40C DE Filter