Can I add CYA while using a skimmer sock?

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
I really need to keep a skimmer sock in my basket at all times, because this is a high-pollen area. High pollen means frequent backwashing, at least in my book. (Fortunately, we've been getting so much rain this summer -- which always seems to add pollen -- that even with the backwashing, I haven't needed to add much water to the pool.)

Here's how your CYA level can drop to below 25 on the Taylor Test Kit: Lots of backwashing, lots of rain. It's the slow, natural method of draining and refilling your pool!

At any rate, I now need to add CYA ... but I really don't want to take off the skimmer sock. Also, I've never added CYA before, so I'm not sure whether it goes in the skimmer basket, or in the skimmer without the basket, or what. Can I pour the CYA into the skimmer without the basket, then put the basket-and-sock combo back in?

I bought 8lbs, just in case my CYA is zero, but I'm thinking that I'll just add 2 lbs at a time. Does that sound smart, or not-so-smart?

Thanks, experts!

here is my back country way of doing it : I buy the cheap ladies knee hi's hose from the dollar store-- I think like 3 pair for a dollar ... Put what ever amount is needed to bring up to the level needed. Tie a knot in then end and lay it on my resin steps for about 4 to 5 hours. Then once I get in and with the pump on kinda massage and twist it. After about 10 mins or so it is pretty much all gone out of the stocking. It works for me-- past few years... Amazing what the ladies stockings can be used for around the pool.

Hang it in front of a return, in your case. Because if you put it in the skimmer, it will get stuck in the skimmer sock and then will be washed out the next time you rinse the skimmer sock. Because since you have a sand filter, you may need to backwash before too long, and then it will also be washed away. So, for you, the stocking hung in front of a return is best, or sat on the step like dremin2flyhi said.

singerteacher said:
So ... is hanging it in front of a return the preferred method? Or pouring it in the skimmer, under the basket? Thanks for your help!
I actually pour it in the skimmer and let the skimmer sock catch it. But as anonapersona said, that may not be the best solution for you since you need to backwash so frequently. If you add it through the skimmer by any method you should not backwash for at least a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
singerteacher said:
So, if I dissolve it by smooshing a stabilizer-filled sock in front of the return, I can still backwash?
Yes. You will still lose a little CYA, but that is normal.

I thought I couldn't backwash for a week after adding stabilizer, no matter what!
The reason for not backwashing for a week is to prevent washing out CYA if you have added the CYA via the skimmer. The CYA is stuck in the filter (for up to a week) dissolving. If you backwash w/CYA in the filter, you will wash it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.