Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I add CYA while using a skimmer sock?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I add CYA while using a skimmer sock?

I really need to keep a skimmer sock in my basket at all times, because this is a high-pollen area. High pollen means frequent backwashing, at least in my book. (Fortunately, we've been getting so much rain this summer -- which always seems to add pollen -- that even with the backwashing, I haven't needed to add much water to the pool.)

Here's how your CYA level can drop to below 25 on the Taylor Test Kit: Lots of backwashing, lots of rain. It's the slow, natural method of draining and refilling your pool!

At any rate, I now need to add CYA ... but I really don't want to take off the skimmer sock. Also, I've never added CYA before, so I'm not sure whether it goes in the skimmer basket, or in the skimmer without the basket, or what. Can I pour the CYA into the skimmer without the basket, then put the basket-and-sock combo back in?

I bought 8lbs, just in case my CYA is zero, but I'm thinking that I'll just add 2 lbs at a time. Does that sound smart, or not-so-smart?

Thanks, experts!
    -----------------------------------
    26000 gal, in-ground, vinyl pool
    Hayward S200 sand filter, 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    BBB since the first month! :-)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I add CYA while using a skimmer sock?

Put it in an old sock or a skimmer sock (not the one currently in the skimmer) and hang it in front of a return.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

here is my back country way of doing it : I buy the cheap ladies knee hi's hose from the dollar store-- I think like 3 pair for a dollar ... Put what ever amount is needed to bring up to the level needed. Tie a knot in then end and lay it on my resin steps for about 4 to 5 hours. Then once I get in and with the pump on kinda massage and twist it. After about 10 mins or so it is pretty much all gone out of the stocking. It works for me-- past few years... Amazing what the ladies stockings can be used for around the pool.
    24' x52" Sharkline Venture (May 2016) ABG (13,500)
    Hayward S180T15932S --Sand filter/ Flo-Matrix pump pack
    Aquatrol-RJ SWG-- Nitelighter NLMC
    Dolphin E10
    Duraspa G2- Premium hot tub --Rotomold style

4. Back To Top    #4

So ... is hanging it in front of a return the preferred method? Or pouring it in the skimmer, under the basket? Thanks for your help!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hang it in front of a return, in your case. Because if you put it in the skimmer, it will get stuck in the skimmer sock and then will be washed out the next time you rinse the skimmer sock. Because since you have a sand filter, you may need to backwash before too long, and then it will also be washed away. So, for you, the stocking hung in front of a return is best, or sat on the step like dremin2flyhi said.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by singerteacher
    So ... is hanging it in front of a return the preferred method? Or pouring it in the skimmer, under the basket? Thanks for your help!
    I actually pour it in the skimmer and let the skimmer sock catch it. But as anonapersona said, that may not be the best solution for you since you need to backwash so frequently. If you add it through the skimmer by any method you should not backwash for at least a week.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    If you add it through the skimmer by any method you should not backwash for at least a week.
    If it is caught in the skimmer sock then you cannot clean the sock for a week either.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    If it is caught in the skimmer sock then you cannot clean the sock for a week either.
    Putting in the sock makes it dissolve very fast. Gone in a day...
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    Putting in the sock makes it dissolve very fast. Gone in a day...
    I stand corrected, so what Beez said!

10. Back To Top    #10

So, if I dissolve it by smooshing a stabilizer-filled sock in front of the return, I can still backwash? I thought I couldn't backwash for a week after adding stabilizer, no matter what!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by singerteacher
    So, if I dissolve it by smooshing a stabilizer-filled sock in front of the return, I can still backwash?
    Yes. You will still lose a little CYA, but that is normal.

I thought I couldn't backwash for a week after adding stabilizer, no matter what!
    The reason for not backwashing for a week is to prevent washing out CYA if you have added the CYA via the skimmer. The CYA is stuck in the filter (for up to a week) dissolving. If you backwash w/CYA in the filter, you will wash it out.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

That makes sense. I thought perhaps the CYA was especially vulnerable to backwashing, for some reason, but now I understand.