Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 skimmers

1. Back To Top    #1

2 skimmers

Is there a reason I should insist on two skimmers?
    Custom Cloud shaped 19'x35' - Raised Spa 6' diameter
    Rainbow 320 Inline Chlorinator - Paramount Clear O3 Ozone Generator
    Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter (Hayward CX880XRE) - Hayward Tristar 2 speed pump
    Hayward H400Fdn Heater, Hayward GVA-24 (valve actuators)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 skimmers

It would depend on what is around your pool area. I have 2 skimmers in a 15x27 pool because I have a line of pine trees next to it (not mine or they'd be burned down by now! ) and this keeps the pool fairly clean of the debris from these trees. I would think it would more efficient no matter what at keeping the pool clean...just my opinion!
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Triton II TR50 sand filter
    Hayward SharkVac XL cleaner; Emerson 1HP pump
    Bioguard Mineral Springs SWG
    2 skimmers

3. Back To Top    #3

Depends on how big the pool is. What's the surface area of the pool?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

We're looking at a 21,000 gallon pool. 22 x 37 custom shaped 100 ft perimeter.
    Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter (Hayward CX880XRE) - Hayward Tristar 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I would absolutely insist on 2 skimmers with that size pool! Again...just my most humble opinion!!
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Triton II TR50 sand filter
    Hayward SharkVac XL cleaner; Emerson 1HP pump
    Bioguard Mineral Springs SWG
    2 skimmers

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

I have two skimmers and they keep the top very clean. Anything and everything will get skimmed off in about 15-20 minutes. This is also with only two returns.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

It also helps if the skimmers are placed so the predominant wind blows toward the skimmers.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

9. Back To Top    #9

We only had one skimmer in our 1946 20'x40' IG steel pool. It was retrofitted in sometime in the '60's and required a cutting torch to go through 5/8" marine battle plate so we only did one. Most of the time it worked just fine, but occasionally stuff would get hung up if there was a steady wind pattern from the wrong direction. Eventually the weather changed and it would get it. We lived with it just fine, since in fair weather it stayed perfectly clean. I now have two, and they do do a better job.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have only one and would prefer to have two especially as our high wind directions change throughout the year. In order to keep the pool cleared I have to use an add on Pool Skim that uses one of the returns and in Fall, because of so many leaves, two Pool Skims that uses another return. For one or two Pool Skims the flow has to be reduced to the other returns for enough flow to Pool Skims.

If you have enough leaves going into the pool during Fall, even with two skimmers, a Pool Skim can come in handy, as it holds much more leaves than the skimmers do and if it gets full it doesn't affect the suction like a clogged skimmer will.

I vote for two skimmers.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine