Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cant beat this cloudy water!

1. Back To Top    #1

cant beat this cloudy water!

ok, got the green water blue again. but has been cloudy. here are my readings as of last night (8 pm)
    1.5 - tc
    1 - fc
    .5 - cc
    cya - 9
    ta -90
    put some S.O.S in after test. and 1.5 gal. clorox @ 4 am. still cloudy.
    filter is new, about 3 days old along with new sand.
    10,000 gal. above grnd.
    any suggestions?
    10,000 gal. above grnd.
    300 # sand filter
    solar cover(do not use often)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cant beat this cloudy water!

CYA = 9? If so you are losing most of your chlorine to the sun every day. So you are always on the verge of turning green again.

Please clarify this number before we go any further.

Also, what is SOS? Can you list ingredients from the label?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

sorry CYA is 90. shock. oxidixer. sanitizer suggested by the pool guy of course.
    ph - 7.6

should i put the solar cover on? will this help?
    10,000 gal. above grnd.
    300 # sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

For a CYA of 90 your FC is way too low! Your level for FC is 7-12ppm. Your FC shock level is 23 ppm. You want to add enough chlorine daily to keep FC at the top of your range (12).

What are you using to test your pool?

Have you passed the overnight test?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

just retested and FC is about 6. as of now i cant read FC above 5. i have the taylor 2005.

should i put the cover on?
    10,000 gal. above grnd.
    300 # sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but until you can reliably test for FC at levels above 10ppm you will be spinning your wheels trying to fight your cloudy water. You need an FAS-DPD test. You can order one online at places such as TFtestkits.net.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

7. Back To Top    #7

Putting the cover on will not be helpful at this time. You will either need to drain about 2/3 your water and refill to get the CYA down around 30ppm or you will need a FAS-DPD test kit to measure FC above 5. If you still need to shock then you will need the FAS-DPD test even if you drop the CYA to 30 since the shock level would still be greater than 5ppm.
    Accurate test results are critical to good pool maintenance. That is why we place so much emphasis on having a high quality test kit. You can supplement the kit you have with the FAS-DPD kit from TF test kits.

Run the overnight test and if you pass, keep the filter running until the pool is clear.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I agree with Zea. I wouldn't even consider covering it till your water is crystal and your FC is holding overnight, confirmed with an FAS-DPD test.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

You can dilute your pool water with distilled water to expand the range of the test, but you lose accuracy. One part pool and one part distilled, multiply result by 2. Two parts pool and one part distilled, multiply result by 3. But, really, a test kit that can read up to 50 ppm is so much better. Look here http://www.tftestkits.net I use the TF-100.

The reason you do not want the cover on yet is that as chlorine attacks algae, the result is Combined Chloramines -- this is the bad pool smell some pools have. It takes sunlight and air to get that out of the pool. So, the cover is good after everything is under control, but not yet.

Spend some time reading in Pool School. When you understand the relationship between CYA and chlorine, you will see why once CYA is so very high, it is really better to drain off some water and replace with fresh water. Tap water and well water will have no CYA.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.