Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this right ????

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this right ????

I am about to buy a ABG pool. I am going with 1.5Hp pump single speed. After posting in here I was told to go with the 2 speed pump but when I called the dealer they said that they no longer carry the Pentair 1.5hp Dynamo pump 2 speed because of issues with it breaking down. He told me that Pentair isn't making the Dynamo in 2 speed anymore for the these reasons. Is this guy for real??? Does having the 2 speed really matter and why???

Seaspray 24ft Evolution pool
    w/ 1.5Hp Pentair Dynamo single speed pump
    22" Sand Dollar Sand filter
    Aquatrol SWG.
    24ft Seaspray Evoluction ABG
    1.5hp Pentair Dyno
    22in Sandfilter
    AquaTrol SWG
    Milton, FL (NW Florida Panhandle just outside of Pensacola)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this right ????

You can save a dramatic amount of electricity (30% to 50% savings) by running the pump for twice as long on low speed.

As a general rule of thumb, you want a larger filter and a smaller pump than a builder/store is interested in selling to you.

Pentair still makes the 1.5 HP two speed Dynamo and many places have it in stock. I would actually recommend the 1 HP Dynamo two speed, 1.5 HP is more than you need unless you have a spa or some water feature (fountain, waterfall, etc) you haven't mentioned.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I am getting a fountain for the pool. So has anyone heard of the 2 speed being dicontinued due to break downs of the 2 speed??? Also so if I get this right - If I demand the 2 speed for my pool and get it then my pump will run twice as long for 30-50% less the cost??? Will this wear the pump out faster due to being run longer???
    1.5hp Pentair Dyno
    22in Sandfilter
    AquaTrol SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

You're being fed a line. First off, Pentair doesn't make the motor, never have! They're made by A.O.Smith or one of the other major players. They've been making those motors for years and they're very reliable. Don't let him feed you a line about it's the pump end that's the problem either. They put the same wet end on the single speed and the 2-speed motor.

If you look at the Pentair website they still list the single speed and the 2-speed Dynamo pumps.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah what he means is that he doesnt have it in stock, and doesnt want to go to the trouble of ordering it for you... help him out by ordering it somewhere else... I bet he changes his tune.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

6. Back To Top    #6

Just to reiterate what Jason said, a 1.5 hp pump is too much pump for a 24' round agp pool. A 3/4 hp single speed would work just fine. I run a 0.5hp full rated pump with no problem and my water passes through two solar panels.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

At first the company was selling me the 1Hp pump but after I went back and asked for the 1.5Hp he upgraded it for free. At this point I'm going to call them and tell them that if I don't get a 2speed then I won't buy from them. I'm kinda ticked off that he told me they aren't selling them anymore due to Pentair not making them when Pentair is still making them.
    1.5hp Pentair Dyno
    22in Sandfilter
    AquaTrol SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

A couple of things to consider. In the Dynamo pump series, the 340210 1½hp single speed pump is really a 1sfhp (Service Factor Horse Power) motor but the 340204 1hp 2-speed is also a 1sfhp motor.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit