Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is your SWG wired to your pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is your SWG wired to your pump?

Mine is wired with my booster pump which is on an Intermatic timer, so for my SWG to be on, my booster pump must be on, which I'm guessing means I also have to run my legend sweeper.

I'm just wondering if this is typical installation.
    22,700 gallon, 16x38 rectangular gunite pool with midnight blue quartz plaster, SWG (Intellichlor IC40), Pentair VS pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter, lakefront property

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is your SWG wired to your pump?

I ran mine in parallel with the low speed on my main pump, so the SWCG is on when my pump is on low (10 hours). Since you typically want your SWCG on for 8+ hours I would never wire it to my booster pump.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. I don't need to run my cleaner for 6+ hours which is currently how I have it set up so my SWG will produce enough chlorine.

I didn't know it was wired this way (never would've thought to ask in the building process) until we fired up the SWG last weekend. Now, that I'm trying to get it all tweaked, I'm not liking this setup. My PB said if I want it on a separate timer to let him know, so I'll be calling him.
    22,700 gallon, 16x38 rectangular gunite pool with midnight blue quartz plaster, SWG (Intellichlor IC40), Pentair VS pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter, lakefront property

4. Back To Top    #4

Ours is wired to my filter pump. Always on when the pump is on.

The booster pump for the polaris only runs about 3 hours a day (unless I'm using the fountain), so that would not be long enough or idea, since I want to create chlorine throughout the day.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.