Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Overnight FC Test is close, should I shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

Huntsville, AL

Overnight FC Test is close, should I shock?

Finally, I have a night where I actually took the sample about 10:15 PM, and was up at 5 AM and got the next sample.

My measurements last night using the TF-100
    FC - 3.5 - 4.0 (just a touch of pink before going clear on the 8th drop)
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.6
    TA - 80
    CH - 220
    CYA - 85

FC 2.5-3.0 - again much closer to 2.5
    CC - 0

It has been hovering around 100 degrees for the last week here in Huntsville, AL, no cloud cover or shade for the pool at all, and it was still pretty hot when I was out at 5 AM. Pool School says 1 is about the threshold, but I am wondering if the high temps are having an impact and may have me loosing more Cl than might be normal. Should I shock? The water looks good, but have never been convinced I have been keeping enough CL in there. I know I should at least get it to around 6 by adding bleach, but wanted to see how my new generator was holding it.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
    Inground 30,000 gallon Pebble-Sheen pool
    Jandy Aqua-Pure 1400 Cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Fleming Island, FL

Re: Overnight FC Test is close, should I shock?

I would say with your water looking good and no CCs that you should be fine. However, your FC level is running low for your CYA level of 85. You should be keeping the FC above 4 ppm at the minimum. You need to bump up the percentage or time on your SWG to keep you above 4 ppm FC at all times.
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Overnight FC Test is close, should I shock?

If it's been that hot, I'm guessing the pool's been getting a lot of use. Lots of sweaty bodies cooling off. That could sap your FC.

Try running FC a bit higher and check overnight loss again in a few days. If it's clean and clear I doubt there's anything to worry about.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!