run times and %

My SWCG came with tuning instructions: Start at 8 hours @ 50% and go from there. It has a table of what to do if you are low or high based on you current percentage.

Getting values from other people will be of little use because there is so much variability in specifics of pools and chlorine generators. Your pool's chlorine demand and size relative to SWCG capacity will be unique to you.

OK great. That was really the kind of info I wanted. I guess I should have asked the question better LOL. I have a 2hp pump now but in a few days the 1hp 2 speed pump will be here to replace it. Time to start saving some money on electric.

What kind of SWCG do you have?

Just make sure that if/when you run your new pump on low speed the SWCG can make chlorine. A lot of them require a certain flow for them to operate. If it doesnt, then the run times may have to be adjusted since chlorine will not be made when the pump is on low. Not saying this is the case for yours, but something to watch for.

Mines and aqua trol. It has a flow monitor inline so if there is not enough flow it will not generate. The low flow lite will light up if that is the case. I am hoping that will not be a problem though.

I run my pump 4 hours in the morning and 5 hours in the evening. This is amount of time it takes to cycle my pool water one time. I do not have a SWG but would guess that run time would be affected more by chlorine generation than by water movement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I run my pump 12 hours a day. My IC-40 stays on 20-35%, depending on swimmers load. CYA of 40 lately. If nobody has been in for a few days and the solar cover stays on, i can turn it down to 15% and maintain an FC of 5 or so. It all depends on pool use, climate, pool size, and SWG size.

I have a cya of just over 50 that was what I've got from one bucket of stabilizer. I will increase my CYA next season to recommended levels. But it has worked fine so far with lower a level, FC sit's pretty still on 2,5-3,0.

gqjeff said:
Why are people running the low CYA levels when 60-80 are recommended?

80 ppm is the recommended level because that is what works a lot of the time. There are pluses to running it that high. The real effect is that the SWG doesnt have to run as much to maintain FC in the pool. The added effect is:
1) the SWG doesnt have to stay on as long therefore lengthening the life of the unit.
2) Since its not on as much, there isnt as much upward pressure on the pH of the pool; less acid demand.

But, there are downsides.
1) the steady state FC needed is higher since the CYA is higher
2) It may actually have to run a little longer to keep that level
3) the amount of FC you need to add if you ever need to shock the pool is pretty high.

I run a lower cyA because i can. My SWCG run time is minimal. i keep my TA around 70, so my pH rise is non-existant. Believe it or not, since opening, I have not added one drop of acid in 3 months. the sun angle in New England is not as high as down south, so i dont use as much chlorine as you would in say florida. There is nothng magic about a SWG and a recommended of CYA of 80 ppm. If the SWCG is underized for the pool, then yes, that high a CYA is needed. mine is over sized for the pool, and my FC demand is low.

Aquaclear lm2-24 in a 33k pool - undersized. It runs 6hrs a day @ 100%, FC stays at 1. CYA is 95-100.

It would have to run 18hrs to maintain 3-4 FC. Too expensive spinning the 2.5hp motor. 6hr runtime is enough to keep the water nice and clear. So I dose it up with bleach.

good luck!

FC at 1 is too low. Chances are that if you ran at higher FC levels you would actually use less chlorine. With FC around 1 it is very easy for algae to get started. You might not even see it because the constant chlorine additions from the SWG keep it in check, but it will be there using up chlorine all the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.