Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: run times and %

1. Back To Top    #1

run times and %

Can some of you give me your run times and at what %? I am setting mine up and just want to know how others have there's running.

Thanks
    24' AGP Sentinelle 54" , 1hp 2 speed power-flo matrix, New 250K to replace the 150k BTU heater, pool roover Jr. Aqua Trol SWG, Large deck, taylor k-2006, Majestic Stairs with colored LED, COLD BEER

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: run times and %

My SWCG came with tuning instructions: Start at 8 hours @ 50% and go from there. It has a table of what to do if you are low or high based on you current percentage.

Getting values from other people will be of little use because there is so much variability in specifics of pools and chlorine generators. Your pool's chlorine demand and size relative to SWCG capacity will be unique to you.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Just wondering if people r running them at night also or more during the daylight hours..
    24' AGP Sentinelle 54" , 1hp 2 speed power-flo matrix, New 250K to replace the 150k BTU heater, pool roover Jr. Aqua Trol SWG, Large deck, taylor k-2006, Majestic Stairs with colored LED, COLD BEER

4. Back To Top    #4

I run mine with my pump on low for 10 hours starting at 11 AM, so basically through the heat of the day to dark.
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

OK great. That was really the kind of info I wanted. I guess I should have asked the question better LOL. I have a 2hp pump now but in a few days the 1hp 2 speed pump will be here to replace it. Time to start saving some money on electric.

6. Back To Top    #6

What kind of SWCG do you have?

Just make sure that if/when you run your new pump on low speed the SWCG can make chlorine. A lot of them require a certain flow for them to operate. If it doesnt, then the run times may have to be adjusted since chlorine will not be made when the pump is on low. Not saying this is the case for yours, but something to watch for.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

bk406, thanks for the concern, but it is unwarranted. I have the Nano with the RC-35/22 manifold. There is a flow sensor so the unit reports if the flow is insufficient.

8. Back To Top    #8

Mines and aqua trol. It has a flow monitor inline so if there is not enough flow it will not generate. The low flow lite will light up if that is the case. I am hoping that will not be a problem though.

9. Back To Top    #9

I run my pump 4 hours in the morning and 5 hours in the evening. This is amount of time it takes to cycle my pool water one time. I do not have a SWG but would guess that run time would be affected more by chlorine generation than by water movement.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by svenpup
    bk406, thanks for the concern, but it is unwarranted. I have the Nano with the RC-35/22 manifold. There is a flow sensor so the unit reports if the flow is insufficient.
    I was actually asking gqjeff

His sig doesnt have the make of his SWCG.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

11. Back To Top    #11

I have an IC-40. Running the pumps from 7-11 am and then from 4-8 pm...I have the IC-40 unit at 75% to maintain 4-6 ppm (50 CYA)...Pool gets sun all day...when overcast, i set unit at 60-65%
    Inground with 7x7 spa (spillover)
    20k gal plaster (sunstone)
    pentair 3/4 hp (filter), 1 hp (spa), 1/2 hp (features)
    cartridge filter
    SWCG IC-40
    Polaris Platinum (with booster)

12. Back To Top    #12

serge, if you bump you CYA to 70-80 you will likely be able to turn your % down to 60-65 all the time.

13. Back To Top    #13

I run mine during the day from 8am to 8pm, most of the time on the lowest output. My SWG generates 24g/h on full speed!
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you

14. Back To Top    #14

I run my pump 12 hours a day. My IC-40 stays on 20-35%, depending on swimmers load. CYA of 40 lately. If nobody has been in for a few days and the solar cover stays on, i can turn it down to 15% and maintain an FC of 5 or so. It all depends on pool use, climate, pool size, and SWG size.

15. Back To Top    #15

Why are people running the low CYA levels when 60-80 are recommended?

16. Back To Top    #16

I have a cya of just over 50 that was what I've got from one bucket of stabilizer. I will increase my CYA next season to recommended levels. But it has worked fine so far with lower a level, FC sit's pretty still on 2,5-3,0.
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by gqjeff
    Why are people running the low CYA levels when 60-80 are recommended?
    80 ppm is the recommended level because that is what works a lot of the time. There are pluses to running it that high. The real effect is that the SWG doesnt have to run as much to maintain FC in the pool. The added effect is:
    1) the SWG doesnt have to stay on as long therefore lengthening the life of the unit.
    2) Since its not on as much, there isnt as much upward pressure on the pH of the pool; less acid demand.

But, there are downsides.
    1) the steady state FC needed is higher since the CYA is higher
    2) It may actually have to run a little longer to keep that level
    3) the amount of FC you need to add if you ever need to shock the pool is pretty high.

I run a lower cyA because i can. My SWCG run time is minimal. i keep my TA around 70, so my pH rise is non-existant. Believe it or not, since opening, I have not added one drop of acid in 3 months. the sun angle in New England is not as high as down south, so i dont use as much chlorine as you would in say florida. There is nothng magic about a SWG and a recommended of CYA of 80 ppm. If the SWCG is underized for the pool, then yes, that high a CYA is needed. mine is over sized for the pool, and my FC demand is low.

18. Back To Top    #18

Aquaclear lm2-24 in a 33k pool - undersized. It runs 6hrs a day @ 100%, FC stays at 1. CYA is 95-100.

It would have to run 18hrs to maintain 3-4 FC. Too expensive spinning the 2.5hp motor. 6hr runtime is enough to keep the water nice and clear. So I dose it up with bleach.

good luck!
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    2) It may actually have to run a little longer to keep that level
    Everything else you said was right, but this one isn't. Higher CYA levels mean less total chlorine used, thus shorter run times at lower percentages, despite the higher FC target levels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

20. Back To Top    #20

FC at 1 is too low. Chances are that if you ran at higher FC levels you would actually use less chlorine. With FC around 1 it is very easy for algae to get started. You might not even see it because the constant chlorine additions from the SWG keep it in check, but it will be there using up chlorine all the time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast