Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My pool overflows

1. Back To Top    #1

My pool overflows

We fill our pool up to about 2 - 3" below top skimmer level. Every time there's a heavier rain ( 2 - 3") my pool overflows by the skimmer. We always have to bucket the water out from behind the pool and I'm affraid it will sink in if it will keep happening especially in early fall when we get more rain. Is this normal? How to prevent this? We are going on vacation soon and I'm affraid what we'll find when we come home. Please help!

Thanks,
    Jlu
    15X30' 54" wil-bar quest ABG, hayward 2hp w/cartrige, zodiac nature2 sanitizer, 4x20' solar bear

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My pool overflows

The top of my skimmer lid which has vents and such is about 3 inches below the top of my pool wall-------which in turn is at the top of the skimmer full level. Unavoidable with that much rain at a time I think. Can you trench it to flow elsewhere?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

If the water in the pool gets higher than the top of the skimmer body (round part) it's just gonna overflow - no 2 ways about it.

What you can do is drill a hole near the top of the skimmer body and attach an 'overflow' hose to it which would run ~ wherever you want it to run, when the rains get torrential.

Things are 'pell- mell' here for the next few week, but i'll check in and see if you need more help with this.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Welcome to TFP!!

If the water in the pool gets higher than the top of the skimmer body (round part) it's just gonna overflow - no 2 ways about it.

What you can do is drill a hole near the top of the skimmer body and attach an 'overflow' hose to it which would run ~ wherever you want it to run, when the rains get torrential.

Things are 'pell- mell' here for the next few week, but i'll check in and see if you need more help with this.
    Great idea, Ted!

Before I started drilling, I'd find a fitting. Time to go browse the hardware store. Or if you want to pay top dollar, a marine supply store. What you need is a "through-hull fitting." I googled it and got a good hit right on top - pictures and everything. You can get garden hose size up to a over an inch, which could handle a downpour. Be sure you can find (and afford) enough hose to route the water away. Typically, one drills the holes, tests the fit, then goops it up with some sort of silicon sealer and wrenches it tight.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys! I'm going to search around for something you recommended. I hope I figure it out as they are promising a lot of rain for next week when we won't be around!
    While we are away (1 week), should we keep the pump running continuously or should we not? If we are not running the pump for a week I'm affraid we'll have a small lake with fish and frogs by the time we come home. Any suggestions?
    15X30' 54" wil-bar quest ABG, hayward 2hp w/cartrige, zodiac nature2 sanitizer, 4x20' solar bear

6. Back To Top    #6

You can get an inexpensive timer to run the pump while you are away (if you plug the pump into an electrical outlet). There may be a similar solution if the pump is hard wired. Someone more knowledgeable than I can help with that issue.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Great idea, Ted!

Before I started drilling, I'd find a fitting. Time to go browse the hardware store. Or if you want to pay top dollar, a marine supply store. What you need is a "through-hull fitting." I googled it and got a good hit right on top - pictures and everything. You can get garden hose size up to a over an inch, which could handle a downpour. Be sure you can find (and afford) enough hose to route the water away. Typically, one drills the holes, tests the fit, then goops it up with some sort of silicon sealer and wrenches it tight.
    Given that the skimmer body is round, I wouldn't go with 1", you'll never get a full seal with tehe gaskets those come with.

I suppose I could come up with some epoxy or silicone 'work-arounds' But think that a 3/8" might seal sufficiently and still handle anything less than a 3"/ hr. rain.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)