Well Water

Jun 14, 2010
Piedmont of NC
Ok, had pool originally filled by having water trucked in, Since then I may have to add an inch or so of water weekly via hose from my 500+ ft deep well. When we have our summer downpours then it really isn't necessary. I'm wondering if adding small amounts of well water is going to put metals in my water. I have never used any metal removers, and until recently I have been adding algaecide after it rains. I have since learned on this forum that if I keep my FC correct than using algaecide isn't necessary. Hope I'm doing all this right! My water looks so nice, I'd hate to screw it up!!!!!

I totally filled my pool with well water as well as others I have built. I usually over fill so I can vacuum to waste later without having to add more water. Usually the metals will precipitate out on the first time you shock the water. Then you can add some Aluminium Sulphate flocculant, let it circulate for an hour then let the pool sit with the pump turned off for 8-24 hours. Then simply vacuum the metal oxides that have settled on the bottom to waste. I'm sure there are other solutions too, I am hardly an expert.

Taylor Technologies does have kits available for metals in both combination and single analyte versions, but they are fairly expensive when considering the amount of use that you would really get out of them. I would just see if the pool store could do it for you.

For small water additions, would a carbon hose end filter work to remove metals? They sell one at Walmart RV section for $17 last time I checked. I used to use it for aquarium water for my discus.

anonapersona said:
For small water additions, would a carbon hose end filter work to remove metals? They sell one at Walmart RV section for $17 last time I checked. I used to use it for aquarium water for my discus.

Nope.

It is worth knowing what is in your well water. Some places it is the law to provide a test to home buyers. Ask your local health dept. for a list of water testing companies. Basic metal and hardness testing is usually on the menu. It's peace of mind if you are going to be living there for any length of time. It's not that expensive if you bring the sample to them.

With smaller additions, if the filter doesn't get it anyway, with the usual level of chlorine in the water causing it to precipitate, you could try adding a little flocculant and hope the filter picks it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.