Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Well Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Well Water

Ok, had pool originally filled by having water trucked in, Since then I may have to add an inch or so of water weekly via hose from my 500+ ft deep well. When we have our summer downpours then it really isn't necessary. I'm wondering if adding small amounts of well water is going to put metals in my water. I have never used any metal removers, and until recently I have been adding algaecide after it rains. I have since learned on this forum that if I keep my FC correct than using algaecide isn't necessary. Hope I'm doing all this right! My water looks so nice, I'd hate to screw it up!!!!!
    10,000 Gallon 12x26 EZ Panel, Vinyl Liner, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Power Flo LX Pump (70 GPM), SM2300T Hayward Sand Filter, BBB Method....nuff said!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Well Water

I totally filled my pool with well water as well as others I have built. I usually over fill so I can vacuum to waste later without having to add more water. Usually the metals will precipitate out on the first time you shock the water. Then you can add some Aluminium Sulphate flocculant, let it circulate for an hour then let the pool sit with the pump turned off for 8-24 hours. Then simply vacuum the metal oxides that have settled on the bottom to waste. I'm sure there are other solutions too, I am hardly an expert.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by solarboy
    add some Aluminium Sulphate flocculant, let it circulate for an hour then let the pool sit with the pump turned off for 8-24 hours. Then simply vacuum the metal oxides that have settled on the bottom to waste.
    Are you saying I need to do that EVERYTIME I stick a hose in there to top it off??????
    10,000 Gallon 12x26 EZ Panel, Vinyl Liner, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Power Flo LX Pump (70 GPM), SM2300T Hayward Sand Filter, BBB Method....nuff said!

4. Back To Top    #4

All well water doesn't have metals. Mine has very little in it but alkalinity.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    All well water doesn't have metals. Mine has very little in it but alkalinity.
    what's the best way to check for metals? I'm guessing copper and iron would be the trouble makers.

6. Back To Top    #6

Taylor Technologies does have kits available for metals in both combination and single analyte versions, but they are fairly expensive when considering the amount of use that you would really get out of them. I would just see if the pool store could do it for you.

7. Back To Top    #7

For small water additions, would a carbon hose end filter work to remove metals? They sell one at Walmart RV section for $17 last time I checked. I used to use it for aquarium water for my discus.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    For small water additions, would a carbon hose end filter work to remove metals? They sell one at Walmart RV section for $17 last time I checked. I used to use it for aquarium water for my discus.
    Nope.

9. Back To Top    #9

It is worth knowing what is in your well water. Some places it is the law to provide a test to home buyers. Ask your local health dept. for a list of water testing companies. Basic metal and hardness testing is usually on the menu. It's peace of mind if you are going to be living there for any length of time. It's not that expensive if you bring the sample to them.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

10. Back To Top    #10

With smaller additions, if the filter doesn't get it anyway, with the usual level of chlorine in the water causing it to precipitate, you could try adding a little flocculant and hope the filter picks it up.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.