Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine tablets spoiled?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine tablets spoiled?

hey guys, Ive been cruising the internet and dealer sites with little luck on my issue.

Have any of you heard of chlorine tablets coming spoiled? I work at a large commercial pool and we use a Accu-tab chlorine feeder for our sanitizer. Every once in a while ill open a bucket of these tabs to refill our chlorinator and a very strong odor (not the normal dry chlorine scent) comes off the tabs. Along with the smell is a yellowish tint inside the bucket.

My experience with pools would suggest our tabs have been contaminated with some acid? The odor is extremely powerful and my experience with chlorine gas and such is leading me to believe they are coming from our dealer already spoiled? Is is possible that the heat in the warehouse can be spoiling the tabs? if so with what?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine tablets spoiled?

the tabs are cal-hypo 65% non-stabilized

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

It sounds like the tablets have been exposed to some moisture. If they are still in tablet form and not merely lumps of powder stuck to the bottom of the container, I would say that they are still alright to use.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

yeah moisture would make sense. Its been very humid the past couple weeks here. that mixed with high heat might be the culprit. Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5
    East Texas

Yellow from moisture. Are they sealed in a plastic bag with a bread tie inside the bucket as well?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

no plastic bag for seal. They just come in 55lb bucket. Doesnt surprise me its the moisture we will have to figure out a way to seal the buckets better. Thanks guys.