Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Guard?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Tucson, Arizona

Skimmer Guard?

I'm looking for something on the market that will block my Kreepy Krauly hose from getting sucked into the skimmer entrance. It blocks the flow and makes this horribly loud "slurping" sound. I've tried fabricating things out of plastic, and am contemplating building something out of fiberglass if I can't find a solution. The flat grate-type guards I've found so far won't work - the hose will still get sucked up against those and block the flow.

Any ideas? I need a bow or bumper of some sort.
    26k gallon IG plaster/shotcrete
    Pentair 1 HP Hydropump
    C-9419 catridge filter
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Skimmer Guard?

No idea...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

smc, we have it. Keeps the toys and kreepy crawler hose out of the skimmer.
    Skimmer Guard
    22,000 gallon 16*32 IG, Vinyl. Hayward 1 hp superpump, Hayward sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Somewhere on the Emerald Coast

That's Perfect !!!

I have a sycamore tree in the back yard and when the leaves fall, they really clog up the skimmer. I built a "leaf strainer" out of chicken wire last year but it was very unsightly.

This will work nicely !!! Thanks!!!
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student

5. Back To Top    #5
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

I'm resurrecting this thread to show another idea. Instead of the flat Skimmergaurd products that are available on-line, I needed something that extended "out" because when I have visitors over, they don't realize my skimmer is my ONLY source of water to the pump. So what do they always do? They gravitate to, and lean-up against, my skimmer opening. In just a few seconds, my 2HP pump sucks all the water dry in the suction line as their body and/or swimsuit blocks the opening. So I made this thing out of just PVC, not even glued, just pressed together. I only use it when we have rowdy guests over since the family knows better than to block the skimmer opening. I saw another post somewhere where someone made something like this out of an old milk crate, but I wanted to try with PVC. Maybe it will help some of you that have just one intake like me that takes water to the pump. Oh, and don't let the sparkling "TFP" clear water distract you.

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!