Deck is finished and the pool has been great for 2 years..

Hey Jeff first off your deck looks awesome.
I'll be building in the next month or two. Did you get your materials from menards? I've heard their lumber doesn't hold up well especially the 5/4" board.. how has yours been doing as far as warping, splitting, etc. Especially after not being sealed for what a year or so?
Your deck is certainly an inspiration

We did use Menard's and my dad used a better grade of wood from a local lumber yard and both have still split in screw areas. I think that's pretty normal as the treated wood shrinks. I do not for see it being a problem at this point. I looked at the fake material but that was over 30 K in material alone and the stuff is super slippery. My brother used it on a small deck and after he did I was glad we didn't get that.

Awesome thread. I really should update my build threat with completed pictures. Maybe I will later today. I love glow stick party idea. I was thinking of doing a party in August with a movie in the yard, but maybe somehow I incorporate the glow sticks for the pool party prior to the move. I also love the fire pit table. It all just looks so good together, you should be proud, you did a fantastic job!! :cheers:

What are your thoughts on the stain that you used? The one picture looks like it faded. Water still beading up? I stained mine and used Olympic Elite 10 year semi transparent stain and sealant, and I am not very happy with it. I followed the prep to a T, and after my first party, I had about two dozen places where the stain lifted off the wood. I ended up running some sand paper over he spots and then re-stained. But I am considering once I close in the fall to rent a sander and re-do the floor, or just put some regular Thompsons on it and call it a day. Makes me sick that I spent over 2k on it, and now 200 bucks of stain made it look like junk.

I have to say this has been a great thread to read. Love the pics. Love the pool and the deck. Really top shelf stuff!

Thank you very much. We get a lot of use from it for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome thread. I really should update my build threat with completed pictures. Maybe I will later today. I love glow stick party idea. I was thinking of doing a party in August with a movie in the yard, but maybe somehow I incorporate the glow sticks for the pool party prior to the move. I also love the fire pit table. It all just looks so good together, you should be proud, you did a fantastic job!! :cheers:

What are your thoughts on the stain that you used? The one picture looks like it faded. Water still beading up? I stained mine and used Olympic Elite 10 year semi transparent stain and sealant, and I am not very happy with it. I followed the prep to a T, and after my first party, I had about two dozen places where the stain lifted off the wood. I ended up running some sand paper over he spots and then re-stained. But I am considering once I close in the fall to rent a sander and re-do the floor, or just put some regular Thompsons on it and call it a day. Makes me sick that I spent over 2k on it, and now 200 bucks of stain made it look like junk.

The stuff we used I would use again. There is no chipping or anything as it penetrates into the wood. It never really beaded up as it wasn't supposed to do that. The color has faded from the first yr but still has some color to it. It was pricey also and the prep was a PITA lol. My dad used some stain stuff on his deck and after a yr it looked terrible.

On the glow stick party we are going to require you have some glow stick bling on and also bring a pack or two to put into the pool ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. For the info. I'll have to figure something out later in the fall.

I was just telling my wife about the glow stick thing. She is all about it, the kids will have a blast.
Get a couple hundred of them. The worst part is breaking them your fingers hurt lmao... I found packs at walmart for like $6 for 40

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.