Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting from scratch again.

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting from scratch again.

I just replaced my 1 month old liner and I have it full againas of yesterday. Last start up I shocked right away and turned the pool orange from metals and got a few stains from that. So my question is to avoid any more stains to my skimmer and ladder should I do the metal out first and then chlorine,ph,stabilizer? Or can I do the chlorine and metal out all at once? I haven't added anything yet, just wanted to see what order to start. I used well water to fill it. Last results before anything was added (pool store results) were:

Total Chlorine .01
    Free chlorine .01
    pH 8.2
    TA 160
    CYA 10

I will be using bleach for chlorine and shock,I have a gallon of muratic acid and I will need to get some metal out and stabilizer. Last start I used 2 1/2 32 oz.bottles of stabilizer and my CYA was running about 40 so I will probably do the same with that.

I pretty much know how much of each I will need I just need to know in what order to do it all in. Thanks so much !!!
    17,000 gal. AG with Pentair Clean and Clear 100 cartridge filter and 1 1/2 hp pump at about 55 GPM.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting from scratch again.

Take a good look at those numbers! With well water there is no chlorine unless you add it. There also is no CYA.
    That should give you a pretty good indication why we harp on getting a good test kit. (you really need a good test kit).

If you read through the Pool School article on metals in your pool you'll see which sequestrants are best. Metal Out isn't one of them.

You should adjust your pH first. Bring it down to 7.2 with muriatic acid. Use Pool Calc to figure out how much you need.
    You should add the recommended startup dose of sequestrant then add chlorine to slowly bring your FC up to 3ppm.
    Even while you're adding chlorine you should be adding enough CYA to get you to about 40ppm.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

you read my mind about the chlorine and CYA. I was wondering about just what you said as I was typing it. I am planning on getting a good test kit but these past two weeks hasn't been a good time. I don't care for that pool stores test methods because they use a test strip and put it in a scanner thing for the results. Doesnt seem to accurate to me. Thanks again Rambler !!!!!
    17,000 gal. AG with Pentair Clean and Clear 100 cartridge filter and 1 1/2 hp pump at about 55 GPM.

4. Back To Top    #4

i forgot to lower the pH before I put the metal sequestrant. Should I do that now or wait til tomorrow? And did I just waste the sequestrant or will it still work with the pH at 7.7?

5. Back To Top    #5

If you didn't lower it yesterday go ahead and lower it as soon as you can.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I went ahead and did it first thing this morning. Thanks !!!