gurgling noise

Jul 23, 2010
Mickleton, NJ
I keep hearing this gurgling noise coming from what I think is the return. I asked at the pool store and they said to open the valve on the filter and let the air out. I did that a few times. My dad stopped over and noticed I had a little drip coming from where the hose meets the pool. He thought air may be getting in and tighten it. The drip stopped and noise continues. I was a little low on water and refilled last night. The noise can still be heard every 15 min or so. It just gurgles for a second then stops. Any ideas what is causing this? It is a brand new pool and we just started running the filter about 4 days ago.

I just typed this a few minutes ago but I don't mind doing it again. :)

Are you gettting air in the pump basket housing?

There are only two ways for air to get into the system (ok three, but intentionally opening it doesn't count :) ). You either have a leak or it's sucking air in through the skimmer. You can have air leak into the system, but not have water leak out.

One very common place to leak air into the system is the pump basket lid. You need to start by cleaning and lubing the o-ring well.
Another common way to get air in it is through the skimmer. If the weir sticks even a little it'll allow the skimmer to suck air in. Also if the water level gets just a little low some skimmers will suck air.

A very strong return will create a momentary whirlpool just above it that usually lasts just a few seconds.

You can watch, and it will show itself pretty quickly even though it might not "gurgle" but every so often.

I went back over to the skimmer and filter to try and see what Bama was talking about and I heard it is def. coming from the return.

duraleigh said:
A very strong return will create a momentary whirlpool just above it that usually lasts just a few seconds.

You can watch, and it will show itself pretty quickly even though it might not "gurgle" but every so often.

I think this might be what's happening. I'm seeing this little whirlpool at the return and then I'll hear the noise. I noticed that when the fountain was connected to the return it didn't make the noise and when I turn the eyeball so that the water is more shooting up the whirlpool doesn't form and no gurgling. So is this just something I can leave be?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.