Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge Filter - Haven't cleaned yet

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge Filter - Haven't cleaned yet

I am about 2 months into a new pool. Have yet to clean my cartridge filter. Pressure is maybe up only 2 psi since my starting value. I was told I would need to do this monthly. With all the dust from the new plaster, I figured initially it would be much more. I haven't opened it up to look at the cartridges yet but should I?
    24,000 gal free form with slide feature
    3.5ft to 5.5ft Sport Pool
    Midnight Blue Diamond Brite
    Intellichlor IC-40
    Intelliflow VS-3050
    Easy Touch 4
    Clean and Clear Cartridge

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cartridge Filter - Haven't cleaned yet

If the flow out the returns is still good I wouldn't worry about it. However if the return flow seems diminished a good bit I wouldn't trust the gauge too much and would go ahead and open it up.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I did it about every two weeks to start and yes it is nasty. You should clean them more often for about the first month or two then you can watch the psi and clean somewhere between 5 - 10 psi above where you started after cleaning.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

4. Back To Top    #4

I wonder if the starting pressure was not immediately high due to dust at that time. You may find that starting pressure is much lower if you clean it now.

So, I'd vote for opening it up and cleaning it. Search this forum for the info on how to clean the filter, and look for the photo of that brass nozzle that works so well with a normal hose. When we clean the cartridge filter, it takes two of us, we also wash the o-ring of any grit, clean the track it sits in, the grease the o-ring with silicone lube from the pool store. When you start to tighten the belly strap, it helps to gently tap it with a rubber mallet to get it to adjust.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

My cartridge filter is also a couple of months old and I have not cleaned it. I don't know what the starting psi level was but now it is 20 psi with the pump running 3000 rpm. Does that sound reasonable? I just started charting it today.
    17,000 gal in ground with spa, wet edge surface, Paramount PCC 2000 in-floor cleaner,Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 520 Cartridge filter, 3 hp Pentair Intelliflo VS SVRS pump , waterfall with 1 1/2 hp booster, Del ozone Eclipse1 ozonator, puck feeder. Borates added 8/2/2010

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by wahoowa
    I am about 2 months into a new pool. Have yet to clean my cartridge filter. Pressure is maybe up only 2 psi since my starting value. I was told I would need to do this monthly. With all the dust from the new plaster, I figured initially it would be much more. I haven't opened it up to look at the cartridges yet but should I?
    Which filter do you have? If it is a 420 or larger, you may not need to clean anything yet. Big cartridge filters can go awhile before needing cleaning.

7. Back To Top    #7

macgas, I would say when in doubt, clean it. That way you'll know for sure. I think 20 sounds about right for your system (mine runs about 20 when clean with the in-floor heads going), but there's only one way to be sure........
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

I go a year without cleaning my filters, I usually do it in the spring. I doubt I see 1psi rise over the entire year. My pool is not screened in and open year round.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

My clean pressure is 16 psi and I clean it at about 22 psi. I am using skimmer socks and so it takes longer to need a cleaning that it did before.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

10. Back To Top    #10

Big cartridges can go a long time without cleaning... what model is your filter?

However, on most size carts you won't see an increase on your gauge at all indicating dirty or not. I've never seen a change on my gauge indicating it was filthy even though it was.

I would go ahead and clean it, if its been that long and you have seen a rise and it's a new pool with plaster dust.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com