Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: size of pump needed for Hayward S160t sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

size of pump needed for Hayward S160t sand filter

I am wondering if anyone knows what size motor (pump) I should use for a Hayward s160t sand filter. When I bought the house, the pump worked the first year and then crapped out. The labeling on it was so sun baked, I could not read anything. I knew it was 120v circuit, so I just bought the largest pump that would run on that circuit (1 and a half horse). I have not been able to get crystal clear water since. I just replaced the sand in the filter and there was only about 100 pounds in it, I found several pool sites that said it should have 150. Also 150 brought it right to the top of the clam shell. Well, when I first backflushed it, it shot a bunch of the sand out the waste. I'll bet it's down to 100 lbs. again inside and I still can't get clear water. Any help appreciated!
    John Sharkey
    IG 16,000 gallons Plaster
    Sand Filter - Hayward 160T
    .75 HP Pump FR56J SF 1.0

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: size of pump needed for Hayward S160t sand filter

Welcome to TFP.

Your pump is way too big for your filter. You probably need a 3/4HP pump.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

We really need to know more about your setup to give an accurate size but I'd bet John is real close and he might still be on the big side.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a 32' by 17' in ground pool. Cement or Plaster, not sure, it's an old pool. It is only about 2 and a half feet deep in the shallow end. I can sit down and still have my shoulders and head above water. Of course, I'm 6'3". The pool is only 6 feet deep in the deep end. I can stand flat footed and it almost covers my head. Nearest I can tell, it is about 12,000 gallons. I determined that with a calculator I found on a pool site. It has one drain pipe and one skimmer (2 and a quarter PVC) and two return to pool valves. Anything else you need.
    John Sharkey
    IG 16,000 gallons Plaster
    Sand Filter - Hayward 160T
    .75 HP Pump FR56J SF 1.0

5. Back To Top    #5

The 3/4hp Super Pump looks like it would be a good fit for your pool and wouldn't overtax your filter. The 1/2hp would almost do it but I think it'd be too close for comfort.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit