Adding bleach

Jun 14, 2010
Piedmont of NC
After reading some older posts I see that most people are testing and adding bleach in the evening after the sun goes down. I have been doing it in the am before the sun really gets on the pool. I work nights so this really isn't an option unless I want to fumble around out there after dark. Is doing it in the morning going to have any detrimental effects on my chemistry? My water is staying crystal clear.....for now!

No, doing it in the morning or evening is a matter of personal preference. The reason why people might be doing it in the evening is that this is the time of the day when the FC level will be at the lowest (assuming you have no organics). FC is at the lowest level due to sun burning off chlorine all day. Since it is the low point in the FC level, one would tend to do their water chemistry testing at this time and add what is needed. If I were you I would do my testing in the morning and ensure I do the CC calculation to ensure I do not have organics. Then add the necessary amount of chlorine. You should be fine.

Morning or evening is a personal thing. My evening is your morning.
I come in from work, test the water add whatever it needs. You come in from work, test your water and add whatever it needs. They just happen at different times.

It may matter if you are lax and miss a day. Normally adding at night but missing for some reason will let the pool sit overnight at low FC, assuming you get to it the next AM no harm done. Normally adding in morning but missing for some reason will let the pool sit all day at low FC, possible a problem if it is a sunny day and you really were at the low end of range when the sun came up.

Gee, I probably ought to switch to doing it at night, but evenings are busier than mornings for me. And I can handle a bleach spot on my PJs better than a bleach spot on regular clothes.

Is there any reason to run the pool pump in the morning, rather than in the evening? I've been running it in the evening (and adding chems at the same time also), but I'm wondering if it would be better to have the water circulated in the morning right as the sun is coming out and wanting to eat at my CYA...

Running at night tends to cool the pool down, but other than that it won't do any harm.

The sun isn't going to eat your CYA (sorry!), so no worries there. That would be too easy, and lots of folks have way too much and would love that option!

FWIW, I just switched to running only in the heat of the day. The pool was a bit warm in August, now is already a bit cool in September. But, even in the heat, I still circulated some in mid-day just to keep chlorine all around the pool.

Adding chlorine in the evening allows it to work on organics all night, without losing any to UV. Adding in the morning means that you should be aware that you'll lose some to sunlight as it works to sanitize your pool. Either way, as long as you are aware of what is going on, and you don't let your FC level drop below min., you should be fine.

Oh, and many folks actually run their pumps morning, evening, some even 24 hours/day. Do what works for you and keeps your water clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does not matter when you run the pump. The key is not to let the FC drop below the minimum for your CYA level. I run my pump at night because I do not want it running during the hot day (in Florida). This is a personal preference for me. My minimum occurs just before the pump starts up in the afternoon around 4:00 pm. Over night my system builds the FC level up enough to where the daytime sun will not drive it down below the minimum FC level for my CYA of 3ppm.

i just found this site and i am so happy i did!! I have been working at keeping my pool maintained, and i seriously have had no training, other than the pool school that was offered at the pool store where i bought my pool. I am actually just learning as i go. I do my chemicals, and then go to the pool store with my sample and they tell me what i need to adjust. Mostly it's that i need to add baking soda, and lots of it. I think it means my CYA is high. Ok, so i am still learning. But, here's the question i have for now... You mean, you don't have to run your pool filter 24/7? I am reading here that people do it at this time or that time or whatever time. I thought they told me i had to run it constantly. hmmm :shock: Please tell me what your opinion is on this. Thanks so much.
Gina from Nashville TN
24 Foot Round AG. 15,000 gallons. Cartridge filter. Sparkling clear water. :goodjob:

ginamarie88 said:
i just found this site and i am so happy i did!! I have been working at keeping my pool maintained, and i seriously have had no training, other than the pool school that was offered at the pool store where i bought my pool. I am actually just learning as i go. I do my chemicals, and then go to the pool store with my sample and they tell me what i need to adjust. Mostly it's that i need to add baking soda, and lots of it. I think it means my CYA is high. Ok, so i am still learning. But, here's the question i have for now... You mean, you don't have to run your pool filter 24/7? I am reading here that people do it at this time or that time or whatever time. I thought they told me i had to run it constantly. hmmm :shock: Please tell me what your opinion is on this. Thanks so much.
Gina from Nashville TN
24 Foot Round AG. 15,000 gallons. Cartridge filter. Sparkling clear water. :goodjob:

I recommend starting a thread in new pool owner forum instead of tying into this one. AND read pool school here and order one of the recommended test kits so you can take charge of your pool. Pool Stores tests are not reliable (which doesn't make sense to me but it is true) and without good numbers folks here can't give good recommendations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.