Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Renting/ Building A Reverse Osmosis Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Renting/ Building A Reverse Osmosis Filter

Hey Folks-

My CH is still really high (~600, I have not done anything about it to date) and if I can avoid it, I'd rather not replace water. It may come down to it, but that would mean 300_ lbs more salt and CYA, plus the cost of the water. if I had to replace 14,000 gallons, it would not be cheap. So I'm wondering about renting a reverse osmosis filter or is there a way I can build one cheaply and easily, or am I doomed to replacing water?

Anyone?

Thanks,

Dan
    28K Gal. 802 Sq Ft., Free Form, IG, Gunnite with Midnight Maui Hydrazzo Carlton Pool. Exposed Aggregate Decking. Jandy DE Filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Pump, SWCG. Zodiac 380 pressure-side cleaner. Completed Construction: May 2008.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Renting/ Building A Reverse Osmosis Filter

Dan,

Not sure what's available in your area for renting RO, but I would guarantee that draining would be cheaper then trying to build your own RO system. I would like to see you save your water, but I think you are doomed...

3. Back To Top    #3

The filters used to do RO in a day on an entire pool are expensive, not something you would want to build/own. You could put together a low flow system that you run all the time with a separate small pump. I don't know of anyone who has tried that yet. It should work well, even though it will take weeks to months to make a significant dent in your CH level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Jason,

Although that is a noble idea, you would have a higher waste rate then recovery. High recovery require high pressure! Under sink ro's waste close to 75% and recovery only 25%. It really is not work it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The filters used to do RO in a day on an entire pool are expensive, not something you would want to build/own.
    Sal and I built our own, and we are very proud to own them

6. Back To Top    #6

I bet you could build and offline "still" though, ie remove water from the pool say 250 gallons at a time and distill it using at home made solar still.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.