Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Choosing a timer.

1. Back To Top    #1

Choosing a timer.

I have a Hayward superpump Model C48L2N134B1
    1 1/2HP
    120/230V
    18.6/9.3A

I was looking for a timer to help reduce the amount of time the pump runs. (currently it's 24/7)
    I'm kinda of confused looking at them so I thought I would ask.
    What are my options?
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Choosing a timer.

The one that came with my pool was made by Intermatic. It's similar to the ones you buy at Lowe's or Home Depot that you turn the dial to set time of day, and clip in those little green and red tabs that turn the power on and off. This one mounts on the post and plugs into the receptacle and the pump plugs into it, no wiring required. Just watch you don't lose the tabs. Mine came with four, I'm down to two.
    It's similar to the one here »» http://www.intermatic.com/products/time ... hb31r.aspx
    Arvil, 30ft round, 21k gal, AG/vinyl(2003), StaRiteIII hp cartridge 150ft, Polaris65.
    6/30, Temp83F (28.3C), pH 7.8, FC 2.8 ppm, CC 0 ppm, TA 100, CH 80, CYA 40, -B4O7 30, CSI-0.17.

3. Back To Top    #3

I think Intermatic is pretty much the standard. They don't really get much simpler than this:

There are others available as well, check out the Encyclopedia in Pool School.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I think Intermatic is pretty much the standard. They don't really get much simpler than this:

There are others available as well, check out the Encyclopedia in Pool School.
    When browsing online for these types of Intermatic timers I find all kinds of model numbers, and price ranges from like $59 - $199 on them. I guess that's more of what I was looking for. Which model number(s) should I be looking at?
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Before we can give you a specific model number we need to know more info.
    Like, What voltage is the pump running on now? Is there more than one item you want to control? Does it need to be in an outdoor enclosure? Do you want a see-thru cover?

I.E. The T103R is a douple pole timer in a NEMA 3R metal case with a 125 volt 60 hz clock motor.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Before we can give you a specific model number we need to know more info.
    Like, What voltage is the pump running on now? Is there more than one item you want to control? Does it need to be in an outdoor enclosure? Do you want a see-thru cover?

I.E. The T103R is a douple pole timer in a NEMA 3R metal case with a 125 volt 60 hz clock motor.
    Do i need to open the pump up to find out how it's set up?
    The electrician did it last year when the pool was being put in.

The only thing going to run on it currently would be the pump.
    And yes it would be housed outdoors. A see through cover is not important to me.
    Eric

7. Back To Top    #7

No you don't need to open it up. I assume it has a dedicated breaker for the pump. Is it a single pole or a double pole breaker? That'll tell you if it's wired for 120 or 240 volts.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Last time I looked I believe it was on a double pole, but i'll have to confirm when I get home from work.
    Eric

9. Back To Top    #9

It is a double pole breaker. So i'm guessing that is 230v?
    Eric

10. Back To Top    #10

That'd be correct.

You need a T102R for a basic timer but I suggest a T104R. It's a douple pole timer which allows you to operate another device if you needed to.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Great, i'll look into both of those.
    Thanks everyone for your help.
    Eric

12. Back To Top    #12

Eric

13. Back To Top    #13

Yep, that's a good buy.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Yep, that's a good buy.
    Great, thanks for your help Bama Rambler.
    Eric

15. Back To Top    #15

That's an indoor case, I believe. For outdoors, you want a t104R or T104P:

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-T10...0887432&sr=1-1

Get a set of extra trippers.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

16. Back To Top    #16

Eric