Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool looks good, ready for chlorine and testing

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool looks good, ready for chlorine and testing

Just finished a round of shock and now the water looks clear and sparkling. I just did a chlorine test last night and this morning and want some suggestions:

last night FC 7
    this morning FC 5
    CC zero
    PH 7.6
    CYA 30

Based on pool calc. and these tests, I think I am losing 2ppm chlorine per day and my target based on CYA 30 should be 4 ppm. So, if I need to add 2 ppm chlorine per day, which in pool calc. comes up to 83 oz of 6% bleach per day. This sounds like alot to me. Am I doing this right ?
    30 ft. round 52" deep above ground pool, about 20,000 gallons
    Starite cartridge filter with 1.5 GPH pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool looks good, ready for chlorine and testing

For a 30' pool that sounds real good. 83oz per day is not bad at all. I add that much to a 24' pool lately and my CYA is 30.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Since you lost more than 1.0 of FC overnight, you aren't quite done shocking yet.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I added about 6 inches of water last night to the pool, so that probably effected my numbers. There is still some green around the edges of the pool, so I am going to brush and shock it to 13 today. Will test again tonight and tomorrow for FC loss.
    30 ft. round 52" deep above ground pool, about 20,000 gallons
    Starite cartridge filter with 1.5 GPH pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup, "some green" and "2 ppm drop overnight" means you need to keep on shocking. But "clear and sparkling" means you are almost there.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.