Chemical numbers - request advice

1. Lower your pH to 7.2-7.4....the SWG is probably making it slowly rise, lower it when it gets to 7.8.

2. Your FC is a little low - 3-4ppm would be better

3. There a couple of other tweaks, too, but tell us how your water looks?

Crystal clear, sparkly.
That's great!!

Okay, so (very soon) your pool will be pH around 7.2-7.4 or so and you're gonna' keep your FC about 3-4

I would then suggest you bring the CYA up just a little bit. Most SWG's like 60-80ppm so you could target 70 (up 15 from your current 55) It's pretty hard to test that accurately so just calculate the dosage and assume it's there.

Then your CH could come up just a little as well. Most masonry pools should be between 200-400 or so so if you raised yours by 50-100ppm that would be just about right.

Once all those changes get settled in, we'll work on bringing the TA down. That's a process rather than a chemical addition. You can read how to do it in Pool School but I wouldn't mess with it until all your other adjustments have been made.

Sure, same time is fine.

Don't backwash for a week if you put stabilizer in the skimmer....it dissolves in the filter and takes a long time. You can get around that if you like by tieing it up in an old sock and dropping the sock in one of the skimmers.

I'm almost embarassed to ask this question but since I've had conflicting advice here goes. I have been told twice that it's ok to put the stabilizer in panty hose in front of a jet. I have read here to put stabilizer in sock in skimmer. Not all socks are created equal...I mean there's thick heavy athletic socks and really thin fashion socks...so:

1) is it ok to put stabilizer in panty hose in front of return jet? Does it help or hinder the process?

2) should I use athletic socks when putting stabilizer in the skimmer? because I have so many of those...that is what comes to mind when I picture putting stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer.

Or perhaps I'm way off and there is a special sock purchased at the PSS for such a purpose...

Thanks again.

Pantyhose or socks work fine either place. We recommend doing it in front of a return if there is a slight possibility that you may have to backwash because if you put it in the skimmer it goes straight to the filter where it gets trapped and if you backwash it will get carried out with the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.