New Pool am I on the right track?

Jul 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Pool has been full and running for two days. I took my water sample to the pool store. They used some kind of a computer to do the analysis.

Here are the numbers they gave me.

Total Chlorine 4.3
Free Chlorine 4.3
PH 7.2
Total Alkalinity 140
Calcium Hardness 225
Stabilizer 0 ( I have two lbs in a sock...I understand it may take a week for it to show up)

So am I on the right track here for now? If not what changes do I need to make?

Thanks in advance

TA is a bit high. I would use some mauriatic acid to bring it down. Read Pool School and it will explain the process in order to do this. Stabalizer needs to increase and you could use Dichlor chlorine to accomplish this and be able to add chlorine into the pool at the same time.

Getting to understand the different kinds of chlorine, their uses, and purposes is really important and can really save you money throughout the year. When I shock the pool, I always use bleach. Its the cheapest and has nothing in it to mess with my numbers.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Because your pH is 7.2 I wouldn't worry about your TA right now. If it pushes your pH up then adjust it back to 7.2 every time it gets to 7.8.
Just maintain your FC to your targeted CYA since it's been in a day or two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.